11 | Heart to Heart

I rush down the stairs and into the kitchen, quickly snatching up a piece of toast from the plate on the counter

I rush down the stairs and into the kitchen, quickly snatching up a piece of toast from the plate on the counter. I expertly hold it between my teeth while I shrug myself into my coat, not wanting to bite into it and make it fall on the floor. I have an early start morning due to an unexpected shift at the bakery. Barbara called me only half an hour ago when one of the women phoned in sick. I instantly assured her I would be there as quickly as I could.

Mum and Dad whip their heads towards me as I rush past their seats at the kitchen table. They were not expecting me to be out of bed so early on a Saturday morning.

"What's going on?" Mum asks in concern as I take that bite from the toast I was holding back, holding it in my hand and scoffing it down while I zip around the house.

"Barbara called me. She needs me to go in this morning. One of the ladies called in sick," I rush my words as I quickly jump my way back up the stairs when I notice I forgot my bag in my haste.

I reach for it on my door handle before coming back down as quickly as possible while I search my bag for my car keys. With my car keys in my right hand, I smile at my parents while making my way to the front door. But before I make it even halfway down the hallway, I remember that I don't have my car.

"Damn you, Harry," I mutter under my breath, for this is his fault.

I backtrack into the kitchen once more. Mum and Dad glance up at me with confused expressions. I huff before providing them with my explanation.

"My car is back at Harry's house. It's a long story. Mum, would I be able to borrow yours? I'm so sorry."

"Not a problem, I'll catch a ride to work with your father," she smiles while I grab her car keys from the bowl on the counter, and Dad just frowns.

"You're a lifesaver, have a good day, love you both!" I call to them over my shoulder, and I hear them call out the same back to me before I shut the front door behind me.

*****

The all too familiar ringing of the bell fills the air when I open the door to the bakery, and the aroma of fresh bread and pastries fill my nose. I briefly close my eyes at the familiar smells while closing the door behind me, prompting the bell to ring once more.