Chapter 14.

"The worst things in life come free to us."

-Ed Sheeran

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edited: July 15, 2020

Scar

"So if sharks don't attack as long as you don't bother them, why are there still a lot of reports each year?"

"Jerome?"

"Yeah?"

"Shut up." Blaze said as nicely as he could.

Laughing, I got off my bike. After school Cam invited Jerome to the house and we parted ways in the parking lot seeing as we all have different rides. However, ever since lunch Jerome has been going non-stop about sea animals and their natural ways. It was getting quite annoying and I was grateful for Blaze's rude interruption.

Shuffling through the garage door we were still laughing at Jerome as we headed into kitchen. I was behind Blaze and Cameron when they pushed the swinging door open and suddenly stopped in their tracks, making me hit my nose on Blaze's boney shoulder. This resulted in Jerome pushing me further in the already tight space and stepping on the back of my shoe in the process.

"What the fuck?!" I shouted, annoyance clouding my lack of filter.

They stayed still--hearing Cameron gulp made me march through the two morons standing in my way. I ended up stumbling to the front of the group just to see James and Ruth stand before me.

Well that explains it. I thought.

Ruth didn't waste any time to smoother me in a hug inspecting every inch of my face and arms for who knows what.

"If you're wondering if I've used the needle, your answer will be no. Tried that shit once--all it gave me was a foggy head and annoying giggles for twelve hours--talk about your bad quality." It was the lamest attempt at a joke and it was not taken lightly as I was met with pointed and perplex looks from the crowded room.

Staring at me with mixed confusion, Ruth said "I'm just making sure you're not hurt? Why would you assume that I thought you did drugs?"

Feeling like an idiot I answered "All my old foster parents did."

"We..." James who had been leaning on the kitchen island with his arms crossed spoke "are not your foster parents, Scar. We're your current guardians and we trust you. Even though you disappeared for the past three days with no letter or sign on where you've gone."

The undertones of frustration and anger did not get past me and feeling my own annoyance build, I felt the need to answer with as much vagueness and disinterest as I could possibly muster.

"I went to the beach." I shrugged as nonchalant as possible.

"And?" Placing her hands on her hips Ruth gave off the true aura of authority, making me feel fucking intimidated. Unlike James, however, I had nothing but the upmost respect for Ruth and felt...almost touched by how much she evidently cared for me.

"Mainly just talked to Winter on the phone. Smoked, played cards with this homeless dude and drank at the local bar." I blabbered, not being able to take her hard gaze much longer.

"You're underage? how did you get into a pub?" Cameron piped up.

"Let's just say I have my own connections. Plus I'm a huge flirt." I gave a wink.

"And a tease." Jerome noted before nudging Cameron "Ain't that right Cam-man?"

The laughter that followed from Blaze made me chuckle as they shared a hand shake before Cam smacked the living hell out of Jerome. It resulted in a smack in the arm as retaliation and Blaze pulled at Cameron's shirt collar when he attempted to lunge at Swain.