Chapter 32.

"El amor es una magia. Una simple fantasía. Es como un sueño. Y al fin lo encontré."
-Tito El Bambino

(Love is magic. A simple fantasy. It's like a dream. And in the end, I found it.)
If you really wanna understand me or the writing for this chapter even as a non-spanish reader, listen to the song. It's one of my childhood favorites and one that's always brought joyful tears to my eyes.
~~~~~~

As the days stretched on and Christmas passed by without any memories worth noting. Scar had been so drunk at the local bar, she had missed present exchange. Winter had been kind enough to wrap the gifts she bought everyone and present them for her. Only Blaze and Cameron knew the truth of her absence and the grimness showed on their faces, they figured their parents were putting on a facade for the younger Margo's. Ace and Dante were too wrapped up in their own priorities to notice, Frankie had decided to spend Christmas elsewhere, and the younger children were too giddy over free gifts to probe any further. Ellison had invited Drew over and a argument had ensued between them upstairs, when Ruth Margo called the two down all she got in response was the sound of a door slamming and a, "Not now, mom!" in response.

New Year's was an entirely different scenario. Ruth and James decided to surprise the family with a trip to Disneyland, but only the younger kids were invited much to the older kids relief. Scar rolled her eyes so hard at the entire idea she felt annoyance to herself for ever wishing to see that giant rat in red shorts in person. Ace spent his new year with the Smith family, his resolution to always kiss Nova first making everyone fake gag. Dante to no one's utter surprise went to a party. Blaze, Cameron, Jerome, Scar, Winter (With persistent persuasion from Ariana), and surprisingly Frankie decided to drive to the beach. Their night was filled with a firework show and a crab hunt at night. Ellison was a mystery to everyone, briefly informing her parents that she would spend the celebration with Drew and her family. When Ruth spotted a bruise along the back of Ellison's neck and sprouts of gashes along her temple the next day, Ellison laughed and reassured her mother that her first time dealing with fireworks didn't go exactly as planned.

Winter was due to fly out in nine days and it was driving Scar to the brink of madness. She barely behaved when Winter was there...now she was possibly leaving for good and there was nothing to do to stop her. Tim or "fuckface" had called just two days earlier, informing the tattooed girl that Winter had changed her living arrangements and would be staying with a friend while looking for a new apartment.

That's when it hit.

She wasn't kidding, Scar shook her head to herself after hanging up with her boss/ally. She really wants a new start...away from me and my bullshit.

Scar didn't blame Winter, for anything. She knew the part she played in the loss of their relationship, she still had trouble comprehending the depth of her hurtful actions, but seeing and hearing of the only girl she felt she truly loved was leaving and this time for-real was turning her world upside down and fast.

She didn't feel the burn against her fingertips, only looking down when noticing the smoke becoming heavier. She put out the finished drag on her ashtray, the pretty flowers being slightly smeared with ashes. Scar remembered how it was a gift from Ellison, the teenager had grown sick and tired of Scar flinging her cigarette butts off the balcony. She ranted about global warming and pollution for two hours before Scar ripped the bag from her hands and tore into the present.

She had stared at it for a minute before giving an odd look to Ellison. A face of surprise, admiration, and sincerity with an undertone of annoyance. Ellison had asked in the quietest voice if Scar liked it.

Instead of a direct answer, she was pulled in a bone crushing hug which she couldn't return as Scar had made it a point to pin her arms against her body. It lasted a few seconds and there was so many layers of awkwardness but Ellison figured Scar wasn't used to getting gifts...or having friendships...or any honest relationships for that matter.