I

The Chock'lit Shoppe

The story starts in a small town. From a distance, it presents itself like so many small towns all over the world. Safe. Decent. Innocent. But, if you got closer, you start to see the shadows underneath.

The name of that town is Riverdale.

Riverdale's story begins with what the blossom twins, Cheryl and Jason, did that summer. They drove down to Sweetwater River on the Fourth of July, just after dawn, and went on an early morning boat ride. 

Later Dilton Doiley, a high school student who leads Riverdale's Boy Scouts, was leading the scouts on a bird-watching expedition. There they found Cheryl on the side of Sweetwater River, soaking wet and crying out her brother's name. 

Riverdale police dragged the river for Jason's body, but never found it. This left most of Riverdale devastated. Those who knew how or adored him were heartbroken when they heard the news of Jason's death. Others were grateful, wishing that Jason Blossom suffered in his final moments and that he would burn in Hell.

A week later, the Blossom family buried an empty coffin, and Jason's death was ruled an accident. The story Cheryl told made quick rounds around Riverdale. Cheryl had dropped her glove in the water on accident, and Jason reached down to get it, and accidentally tipped the boat, panicked, and drowned.

As for the people of Riverdale, they were still talking about, what they called, the "July Fourth Tragedy" on the last day of summer vacation.

Rosemary Holland, a high school sophomore girl from the Northside of town, was rollerskating to Pop Tate's Chock'lit Shoppe where she was going to work as a waitress.

 "Tell me I'm your baby," Rosemary sang to herself as she rollerbladed quite quickly down the street in her uniform. "And you'll never leave me."  

Rosemary was your typical Northside girl. Blonde, pretty, smart, and kind. She was practically the perfect girl in the whole town. Except, like all other Northside kids, she kept a secret. Everyone in Riverdale had a secret. Usually, the Northsider's secrets held more depth and seemed more threatening to their reputation.

What was Rosemary's secret? Well, of course, it was the worst secret she could ever keep from the people around her. Now, this wouldn't be a good story if her secret was told right away, now would it?

"Sorry, I'm late Pop," Rosemary apologized as she skated into the Chock'lit Shoppe, her hands tying her hair back into a messy ponytail. Pop just sent her a smile and handed her a tray of food. On it was two burgers and a mountain of fries along with a milkshake. Without even questioning, she turned and took the order over to the only person she knew would be able to eat that much food at night.