XXXI

Holy Chuck

Holy Chuck

  ⧊  

Weekdays, from 8:25 a.m. to 3:01 p.m., people adhere to a strict regime. Everything in their lives was controlled. but then something like the murder of Jason Blossom happens, and the people of Riverdale quickly realize there is no such thing as control. There was only chaos.

Nevertheless, some of them strived to impose and maintain order in what is, fundamentally, an orderless world. A fact which would very soon be confirmed in ways none of them could have foreseen.

Rosemary sat in Archie Andrews room like she usually did when she didn't have a shift at pops, working on some geometry homework while Archie strummed his guitar and Jughead played a video game. There was a knock on the door and they all looked to see Fred Andrews standing in the doorway awkwardly.

"I'm, uh, I'm headed out," Fred announced. "Sorry to be missing your birthday this weekend, Jug."

"Oh, you will not be missing anything, Mr. Andrews," Jughead shrugged as he kept his focus on his video game. "I barely acknowledge my own birthday."

"Arch," Fred called out to his son, who put down his guitar. "Can you give me a hand downstairs?"

When Archie left, Rosemary was frowning down at one of the problems on her paper she had attempted seven times. Now it was the eighth and she still didn't get one of the provided answers and she wanted to slam her head between two cement blocks. Loudly, Rosemary groaned and leaned back in Archie's desk chair, spinning in it as she looked up at the ceiling. When Jughead didn't do anything she groaned even louder, watching smugly as he paused the game and turned to her.

"Having trouble?" Jughead asked as he stood up from his comfortable spot in a beanbag chair and walking over to Rosemary, who nodded. Jughead leaned over her shoulder and frowned when he saw the problem she was struggling with. "You keep forgetting to switch the sign here. You're supposed to subtract, not add."

Rosemary mentally did what he just told her and gasped, leaning her head back against his shoulder and loudly groaning. She quickly went back to the paper and wrote out the work before turning in the chair and facing Jughead, who was now standing between her legs. His eyes landed on the leather Serpent jacket she wore, which he only seems to see her wear when she was at Archie's house. Yes, Archie and Jughead didn't mind the jacket, but Archie definitely felt uneasy whenever he sees the blonde teenager wearing it.

"So, we doing your usual for your birthday?" Rosemary asked with a raised eyebrow, shoving Jughead so he was sitting on the bed. She got up and walked over, laying him down so his head was resting in her lap while she played with his hair under his beanie.

"Yeah," Jughead nodded. "Definitely. Double feature at the Bijou like always. And no party, Rosemary. I mean it."

"Me throw you a birthday party?" Rosemary scoffed and fake laughed. "Gosh Jughead, I'm not an animal. I would never throw you a party celebrating you growing one year older."