XIV

Long Term

Long Term

It had been a week since the discovery of Jason Blossom's body. But his death was not the first, nor would it be the last casualty that the town of Riverdale would suffer. The Twilight Drive-In where Jughead worked and lived, a piece of town history, was closing for good. Just when they all needed a place to escape the most.

With Sheriff Keller knocking on every door and neighbor suspecting neighbor, Riverdale, every day that passes, was becoming more like Salem during the witch trials.

"More coffee?" Rosemary asked Jughead, who was vigorously typing away on his laptop. He didn't even look up, but instead slid his cup over to her. She filled it and sighed, placing the kettle down on the table and sitting across from him. "Jughead listen, about the Drive-In-"

"It's fine, Rosemary," Jughead cup her off, lifting the cup to his lips and taking a sip as he typed with one hand. "I'll figure something out."

"My offer still stands, Jughead," Rosemary sighed when she heard Pop Tate clear his throat, catching her attention. He raised an eyebrow at her and she sent him a quick smile and a nod, standing up and straightening her yellow uniform. "Don't forget about it."

The girl then skated over to another table and offered coffee.

"The Drive-In closing," Jughead complained later that night to Betty, Kevin, and Veronica in a booth at Pop's. Rosemary skated over and placed four milkshakes on the table and then kneeled in the booth behind Jughead so she was in the conversation. "It's just one more nail in the coffin that is Riverdale. No, forget Riverdale, in the coffin of the American dream. As the godfather of Indie cinema, Quentin Tarantino, likes to say-"

"Jughead," Rosemary cut him off, placing both of her hands on his shoulders and letting out a heavy sigh. "I love you, but please, no more Quentin Tarantino references. I've counted thirteen since you walked in this morning."

"What?" Jughead asked, looking over his should back at her. "I'm pissed. And not just about losing my job. The Twilight Drive-In should mean something to us. People should be trying to save it."

Rosemary took her hands off his shoulders and skated over to the booth occupying a family of four, taking their empty plates and leaving the check on the table.

"In this age of Netflix and VOD," Veronica spoke up. "Do people really want to watch a movie in a car? I mean, who even goes there?"

Rosemary looked at her watch and saw that her shift was finally over, taking her apron off and pulling her tips out of one of the pockets. She pulled a chair over to the table and sat at the edge of it. reaching over and stealing Jughead's milkshake, who was too busy fuming to even care.