IV

A Night of Secrets

A Night of Secrets

Rosemary smiled as Veronica zipped up Betty's uniform. After Veronica's speech, Cheryl announced that both of them made the squad. Betty seemed to fit the part of a cheerleader completely. Her slick, neat blond ponytail tied with the blue scrunchie put Rosemary's to shame and her soft features made her fit the role of a cheerleader perfectly.

"Perfect," Veronica smiled as Betty turned around and held her arms off to show off the uniform. "Very Betty Draper, season one.

"Hey, Veronica," Betty said softly. "Why did... Why did you defend me? I know the crowd you ran with in New York. Why are you being so... Nice?"

Rosemary's eyebrows scrunched down, realizing that Betty was right. Veronica wasn't known to defend people like Betty. To be honest, once Rosemary found out about who Veronica was back in New York, she half expected her to go running to Cheryl.

"Let's go walk the track and talk," Rosemary offered. They all agreed and grabbed their bags, leaving the girl's locker room.

"When my father got arrested," Veronica told her story to Betty and Rosemary as the three cheerleaders walked the track. "It was the worst thing ever. All these trolls started writing horrible things about us. We'd get letters and e-mails saying that my dad was a thief, my mom was a clueless socialite, and that I was the spoiled rich-bitch ice princess. And what hurts the most about it was... The things the trolls were writing were true. I was like Cheryl. I was worse than Cheryl. 

"So, when my mom said we Were moving to Riverdale, I made a pact with myself. to use this as an opportunity to become maybe, hopefully, a better version of myself."

Rosemary adjusted her backpack on her shoulder and took a deep breath, debating whether or not she should share some of her life before Riverdale. Or maybe her secret she was hiding from everyone? No, it would be too much. She would scare away Betty and Veronica and loose all of her friends.

"That's a lot of pressure," Betty sighed. "When Polly and Jason got together... It meant everything to her and nothing to him. And... And things got super intense and weird and toxic and my mom turned on Polly. Said Polly wasn't her daughter anymore, said all these awful things to her. Jason hurt Polly, but it was my mom who broke her."

Both Betty and Veronica looked at Rosemary, expecting her to share some deep secret about herself or her family like they'd done. She nervously bit her nails and looked around the football field that was in the center of the track, her eyes landing on the football players- Well, one specifically. Archie Andrews. Both Betty and Veronica looked where she was looking and Veronica's eyes lit up and she grabbed onto Betty's arm in excitement.