XLIV

Pummeled

Pummeled

          ⧊          

"Are you sure about this?" Rosemary whispered to Jughead as they both stood in front of the cafeteria doors with their hands tightly held.

"No," Jughead shook his head and looked down at Rosemary with a solemn smile. "But it's the right thing to do. Right?"

"Right," Rosemary nodded and, without thinking, pushed open the doors of the cafeteria and walked in, hand in hand with Jughead Jones.

Rosemary and Archie instantly locked eyes from across the room and she saw him mutter something. The rest of his lunch table, Betty, Veronica, and Kevin, turned and their eyes widened to see Jughead and Rosemary walking straight towards the back of the room towards Cheryl Blossom.

Everyone whispered as the two walked by, Rosemary wearing her Serpent jacket as well, probably making the rumors worse. They stood right across the table from Cheryl, who stared up at them with wide eyes. Cheryl and Rosemary locked eyes and for a second, Cheryl looked like she felt back for the blonde girl who had dark purple bags beneath her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Cheryl," Jughead sniffled, not being able to look Cheryl in the eyes. "W-We're sorry."

Cheryl's eyes flared with rage and she stood up, stepping straight up to Jughead and slapping him across the face before turning to Rosemary and slapping her as well. The two took the beating, Cheryl throwing punched at their arms and chests weakly with closed eyes as she cried and sobbed, eventually just turning to Jughead and slamming her fists over and over again into his chest. Rosemary's head hung low and she began to sob, the whole cafeteria in shock as they watched the scene unfold

Archie rushed forwards and swung Cheryl away with his arms tightly around her as she sobbed. Rosemary looked down at the girl she though of as her best friend and cried even more.

"I'm sorry, Cher," Rosemary whispered as she locked eyes with Cheryl. "I-I'm so-"

"Enough!" Principal Weatherbee's voice boomed through the cafeteria and the whole room when silent. Cheryl pulled out of Archie's arms and ran away in a crying fit while Weatherbee stepped up to Jughead and Rosemary.

"Mr. Jones, Ms. Holland," Weatherbee growled. "You two need to come with me. Right now."

The two teens didn't even fight, turning slowly on their heels and nodding as they walked back towards the exit doors. Rosemary was still sobbing as she walked away while Jughead was silent, the only comfort he could give her being a tight squeeze on her hand.

"They were apologizing," Archie argued. "They didn't do anything wrong!"

Weatherbee ignored Archie and stomped after Jughead and Rosemary, slamming the cafeteria doors behind them and leading them straight to his office.