XV

Drive-In Memories

Drive-In Memories

"It's this quintessential rite of passage," Kevin Keller ranted in the student lounge to Veronica and Rosemary as he bought a candy bar from the vending machine. "Making out with your boy or girlfriend at the movies."

"Why don't the three of us go together?" Veronica asked as Kevin laid across the couch Rosemary was sitting on, his feet propped up on her lap. "I can't promise you any action, but maybe I'll bring you good luck. What do you say, Rosie?"

Rosemary as too busy eyeing Kevin's candy bar to answer. When Kevin realized, he rolled his eyes and snapped off a piece, handing it to Rosemary. She grinning giddily and took the piece from his hand, popping it in her mouth.

"Can't," Rosemary said with a mouthful of chocolate. "Already got plans at the Drive-In with Jughead."

"Great," Kevin rolled his eyes. "Another night, another hag."

"Speaking of hags," Cheryl's voice spoke up as she walked into the student lounge. "Veronica, it's so devastating to me that your mother has to sink to such unspeakable lows just to keep those knockoff Hermes bags on your arm. What's next, selling her hair extensions."

"Cheryl," Rosemary warned, but Veronica held her hand up in Rosemary's direction.

"My mom's a waitress, Cheryl," Veronica continued for Rosemary. "Not Fantine. And your faux concern reeks of ulterior motive. What is it?"

"Only to remind you of your place in this school," Cheryl informed Veronica. "Nay, the town's social hierarchy."

"Threatened much?" Veronica challenged as she stood up. "Don't worry. You may be a stock character from a nineties teen movie, but I'm not. And what does any of this have to do with my mom being a waitress?"

"It's just that I saw her talking to some Southside Serpents, last night," Cheryl shrugged, catching the attention of Rosemary. "In the alley behind Pop's. They were having an extremely heated, intimate discussion. See for yourself."

Rosemary and Kevin both quickly got up, Rosemary rushing to Veronica's side and taking Cheryl's phone from her hand, zooming in on the picture of Hermione lodge and two serpents talking. Rosemary stiffened when she realized that the Serpent was none other than FP Jones and a very familiar blonde woman. She quickly sent herself the picture and handing the phone back to Cheryl and taking a few steps away to pace, running her hand through her hair as Cheryl walked away.

"Who or what is a Southside Serpent?" Veronica demanded, turning towards Kevin.

"They're this gang of bikers," Kevin sighed. "Who pretty much stays on the south side of town. And thank God, 'cause they're sort of dangerous. Drug dealers and petty thieves."

"Says who?" Rosemary snapped, turning towards Kevin and Veronica, who sent her a confused look. "And also, Serpents don't deal drugs, okay?"

"Uh, yeah they are, Rose," Kevin nodded. "My dad said so."