Chapter IV

Shivaay and Anika sat side by side, neither of them speaking a word

Shivaay and Anika sat side by side, neither of them speaking a word. They didn't know what to talk about but couldn't bring themselves to move either.

Shivaay knew he was enjoying just sitting idly. Something about her presence was enticing. That is what surprised him. He had always had this tendency or this need to keep himself busy. He tuned his head to look at Anika as she stared at the stars above them.

"Were you not taught, staring is not good?" Anika smiled lightly, still not looking at him. She slowly laid down, her gaze fixed on the sky.

"Well, Sanika calls you Ella which definitely comes from Cinderella. Was wondering what Princess-ish qualities does she see in you." Shivaay shrugged making Anika chuckle.

"It's mostly because I told her about my parents and my life in general. I came here the first time on an event which also fell on the same date as their anniversary. Sanika was really an angel. Something like a little gift my Mom sent for me. I told her my Mom had died, my father re-married and how I had a step-mother and two step-sisters. Couldn't help if my family was an exact replica of Cinderella's."

Shivaay didn't know exactly why he did what he did but he also laid down on his back, grazing his hand lightly against hers. Anika smiled softly at his gesture of trying to comfort her. Something in that moment was so serene, everything seemed peaceful. He probably gave her the 'good listener' vibes and just like that, Anika started talking all about her life.

"My Mom died when I was seven. Neither me nor Dad knew how to cope up with this sudden void. I had been Dad's princess but my Mom was something that bound us together. Somehow, he met another woman, divorced. She had probably emitted those good friends vibe or whatever but not even a year after Mom's death and Dad decided that the only way to cope up was to fill that void. Replace Mom. I had been furious, of course. She actually tried being sweet to me but I was arrogant. I hated her for trying to replace Mom. She already had a daughter, a year younger to me and then my other step-sister is actually related to me by blood. Dad still loves me, but he doesn't know that I and my step-mom made a deal of sorts. Pretend being a civil family in front of him and live to ourselves in his absence."

Shivaay very slowly slipped his hand in hers, rubbing the back of her hand with his thumb.

"You are much more than Cinderella, okay? You are all warrior princess."

"And I can attack you for trying to come close to me." Anika turned on her side, facing him. She cocked an eyebrow while Shivaay only smiled.

"Can't deny my doings, can I?"

Anika's phone buzzed and she quickly picked it up. "Yes, Dad."

She sat up straight and Shivaay missed her presence beside him already.

"Yeah well, I am still at the orphanage."

"God! Why don't you trust me? I can send you a picture if you want!"