Chapter XVII

Anika gave Shivaay a saccharine smile and turned to Gauri, lips pressed together in an even more fake smile

Gauri raised her hands in defiance. She was not taking blame for Anika's weird family dynamics.

Anika turned to Shivaay once again, giving him a formal smile. Even if she was dying with anxiety inside. How did he even find her?

"Hello Mr. Oberoi, how are you here? Liked my event planning skills so much that you are here with the next order already?"

Shivaay gave her an impressive smile at the name she used for him.

"Unfortunately, Miss Anika, your carelessness from Sunday disappointed me. Not here for you."

Anika nodded in relief before looking at him weirdly. "For whom then?"

"Kiddo, you know Shivaay?" Anika turned to her Dad. How the hell did they know each other?

"Uh Dad, remember I went to the party two days ago. I met him there."

"You were at the Oberois' party?" It was Mrs. Trivedi this time.

Anika shrugged. Not like she hadn't done big events before.

"Arey Anika! Why don't you tell then you were Shivaay's date for the night?" Anika's eyes widened as she saw Pinky standing there.

She turned to Shivasy with a frown. He had to get his mother too? She would have handled and made him not tell her family anything but Pinky aunty didn't even give her the time to acknowledge her presence. Anika knew she was dead.

"What the-" Mrs. Trivedi's curse was cut short by the stern glare of her husband.

"Anika, what is this? Care to explain?"

Anika looked around. Tia, Gauri and even Shivaay looked at her with pity.

"Tia, did you ask Anika to replace you for the night? I mean, this was very careless of both you girls." Clearly, her step mother was having a hard time controlling her temper.

"Uh no. Why would I do that?" Tia snorted. Trust her mother to try to salvage the situation.

"It's okay Mrs. Trivedi. Ek nahi toh dusri Trivedi hi sahi." Pinky spoke up, not knowing that this would have quite an opposite reaction on her potential samdhan.

"Sorry what?" Anika frowned. What were they going on about?

Shivaay decided he could possibly intervene and help lessen her confusion. "Well, Ms. Anika, your sister here was supposed to be my date that night and she is the one who stood me up."

Anika looked at Tia with wide eyes.

"So, Mom just means that what was supposed to be mine and Tia's talks of alliance, turned into yours and mine."