Chapter XIV

It was only when Anika's car stopped inside her garage that she stopped looking behind every few minutes

She quietly entered her house, hoping to not wake up anyone. She had reached the stairs when she saw two dark figures looming in the living room.

"Where have you been, young lady?"

Anika rolled her eyes at her step mother's voice. "I was at work, how difficult is it to accept that I actually have a job and do not sit at home and let Dad's money flow?"

"Anika!" her father gasped.

Anika sighed. She was in no mood to converse with anyone. Would it be okay to walk away from this conversation without any explanation?

Unfortunately for her, the lights were switched on and they were in front of her.

When her father looked at her, he frowned. "Is everything okay baby?" His voice was soft.

Anika bit her lip, trying to not cry. Wordlessly, she hugged her father, increasing his doubts of something going very wrong.

After a few minutes of standing like that, Anika pulled away, smiling at him. "I was just tired."

"But your eyes are really red."

"Lack of sleep, I guess. Tomorrow, I'll sleep in."

With that, Anika walked up the stairs, two at a time. She reached her room and banged the door shut, collapsing on the bed.

Finally letting her body rest, she let the events of tonight rush to her, slowly.

When she thought about their kiss, all she could do was smile into the mattress, no wonder with heated cheeks. She couldn't believe it. The mere thought of what happened made her heart lurch. It was her first kiss ans it was nothing short of beautiful. She could still feel her body heating up at places he had touched her and wondered if it was normal.

When she began thinking about what a coward she had been to run away, she groaned lightly, turning to sleep on her back. Immediately knowing what to do, she got her laptop from her desk and laid on her stomach, wondering how she'll begin the conversation.

Few seconds of waiting and a groggy Gauri picked up the call, looking furious, to say the least.

"Anika Harshvardhan Trivedi, this better be good enough to wake me from my sleep."

Anika gulped but then remembered what she was going to talk about. There was no chance Gauri was going to sleep or let her sleep before she knows all the details.

"Wait a minute. Why are your eyes red? Why is your nose red?! Do not tell me you were crying! The last time I talked you sounded quite happy except the fact that you were pissed at me for leaving you. What went wrong?"

So, Anika began telling her. She told her about their kiss and what happened after that. She left details of the kiss, those that were scorched in her memory.