seven

Maggie

"Ashlee." I knocked on the door of Ashlee's bedroom after telling Harry he should go. "Ash, can I come in?" I ask.

I hear footsteps grow louder and come closer to the door. The door cracks open, and the footsteps fade away. I open the door to see Ashlee sitting on the side of her bed crying.

"Oh, no." I sigh sitting next to her. "What happened?" I asked rubbing her back.

"Stupid Louis happened." She tells me crossing her arms over her chest. "He played me."

"Do you wanna talk about it?" I ask. She turns her body to face me.

"After you and Harry left, I guess you could say that things got intense with Louis and I." She started to sniffle and I just knew she was about to break. "We... we almost kissed." A sob slips through her lips. Before I knew it she started sobbing uncontrollably.

"Ash, it's okay!" I tell her, pulling her into a hug. "What else happened? He didn't hurt you did he?" I begin to question her.

"No, not physically anyway." She sniffles a few times before continuing her story. "Just as I was going in for the kiss he pulled away instantly and started laughing and that's when I came upstairs."

"Oh, Ashlee! I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it." I try to reassure her.

"You don't get it, do you?" She looks at me like I'm insane.

"It took me two years to find the smallest bit of self love for myself because of stupid players, just like Louis. I was so close to forgetting all about that until, well now." She sobs.

"Ashlee, I-" I start.

"Just leave me alone." She whispers.

"You shouldn't be alone right now." I tell her.

"Maggie, please leave." She scoots away from me.

I quickly get up and head for the door.

"If you want to talk about it, I'll be here." I tell her before shutting the door.

I slide down the wall between mine and Ashlee's room and sit there. I pull my knees up to my chest and hug them tightly.

I told Ashlee I would be here, so I'll wait. Even if she doesn't talk to me for a week, I'll be here.

-

"Maggie..." I feel someone nudge my shoulder.

"MAGGIE!" I jump awake to see Marcus standing over me.

"How long was I out?" I yawn.

"You've been sitting here for like four hours." He tells me. "It's 10:30." He says before pulling me up off the floor.

"Has Ashlee came out of her room?" I ask.

"Nope." He says putting his hands in his pockets.

I sigh before rubbing my eyes.

"I came to tell you goodnight." Marcus tells me.

"Oh!" I say pulling him into a tight hug. "Love you, little buddy!"

"I'm not little!" He says hugging me back. "I'm 13." He huffs. I laugh before breaking the hug and messing up his long, dark, curly hair. He runs off to his room, shutting the door behind him.

I knock on Ashlee's door once again.

Ashlee didn't answer, so I left it at that, deciding to just speak anyways. "Ashlee, you don't deserve that. I know now that it took you a long time to find it in your heart to love yourself. Louis... I don't even know what Louis was doing. He is a stupid boy who doesn't deserve an ounce of your attention. Come on out. We can have ice cream and talk?" I offered.

Silence.

I took a deep breath, pacing the hallway, before I heard Mom's footsteps.

"Maggie? Why are you pacing?" She asked, confused. She glanced at Ashlee's door, frowning. "What's wrong?"

"So... Ashlee liked this guy Louis and they almost kissed and he pulled away before they could and started laughing, which made Ashlee believe that he didn't like her- although I don't believe that was the case- and now she is locked in her room." I said in one breath, gasping for air.

Mom nodded and went to the door, knocking gently. "My love? C'mon, babe, let me in." She said.

The door opened slowly and a broken looking Ashlee stood there, the sleeves of her sweatshirt covering her hands, her eyes bloodshot, her bun fallen out. She was broken.

Mom went into the bedroom and closed the door behind her, leaving me in the hallway.

I decided to let them be, going to my room. I messaged Harry about what happened and then went to sleep.

-

The next morning, Ashlee didn't come down for breakfast. She was never a morning person anyway.

Today we had rehearsal, but I could easily tell our director, who is also my grandmother and Ashlee's step grandmother, that she was sick since we had a month to get everything ready and prepare. She would understand.

I've never seen Ashlee like this before. In all of our friendship, she's always seemed to be this incredibly confident, indipentent woman. To see her brought down so low, especially by a boy, really hurts me.

My phone starts to ring, breaking me out of my thoughts. I check the caller I.D. to see Hazza.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hey, Mags!" Harry's cheeky voice rings through my ears.

"What's up?" I ask, making my way to my room.

"I was just calling to check on Ashlee." he tells me. "Is she any better?"

"Not really." I sigh shutting my door before plopping down on my bed. "This is the worst I've ever seen her."

"I hate that for her." He says. "I talked to Louis about it and I think he genuinely feels sorry. He just doesn't know how to show it."

"I felt like Louis wouldn't purposely hurt her." I tell him.

"I don't think he would either." He says. "I've tried to get him to go and apologize but he's too nervous."

I nod my head before realizing he couldn't see me. There was silence for a few seconds.

"So, umm, what are you doing today?" He asks.

"Well, I have rehearsal tonight from 4:30 to 7." I tell him.

"Oh." He pauses. "You wouldn't want to maybe go on a date. Like with me?" He asks. I can hear how nervous he is.

"Of course!" I tell him.

"Really? Okay." I can hear his smile through the phone. "Umm, I can pick you up from rehearsal and we can get dinner?"

"Yeah, that sounds perfect!" I tell him.

"Alright, see you at 7." He says.

Right as I was about to hang up I heard him start talking again.

"Oh, and you don't have to worry about getting all dressed up and whatnot. Unless you want to, then by all means, go ahead!" He tells me.

"Okay." I giggle before hanging up the phone.

I sigh before laying back on my bed.

I have a date!!