Chapter 16: A Small Punishment To Show Might

The little eunuch had an expression as if he wasn't afraid to die on his face, appearing like he wasn't completely clueless on just how rude this request was. Even though he knew how rude it was to ask, this small eunuch had still raised this request. This made the Emperor somewhat curious.

As Ling Xiao had been stealthily taking note of the Emperor's expression, he saw that there was a flash of curiosity on the Emperor's face and knew in his heart that there was some hope for his request. Because of this, he decided to take the initiative and opened his mouth to explain, "Your Majesty, there are thousands of eunuchs in this palace. After killing these five, there would be more of these kinds of servants who are unable to tell good from bad in a short while. Your servant is worried since these kinds of situations often arise in the palace..."

The Emperor's gaze was pensive, but when Ling Xiao paused, the Emperor raised an eyebrow, saying, "Continue."

By now, Ling Xiao no longer had a way out, so he could only throw caution to the wind as he said, "Your servant is worried that Young Master Lan Wei would bribe some other people within the next few days after losing these servants."

The Emperor narrowed his eyes, his face cold as he thought that this little eunuch really had the guts to say it!

Even with the distance between them, Ling Xiao could sense the cold air emitted by the Emperor. The cold made him tremble, and he clenched his teeth as he said, "Your Majesty, while Young Master Lan Wei is admittedly brazen, the problem isn't just him, but also the servants of this palace."

After Ling Xiao finished speaking, he looked carefully at the Emperor's expression. His expression was deep and mysterious, his gaze distinctly cold, rendering Ling Xiao completely unable to guess at his thoughts. As a result, he could only brace himself and say, "The servants in the palace are very easy to bribe. Many of them will see a chance for profit and just go for it. Countless eunuchs in this palace have been bribed by someone. These five were caught by this servant, but the others are all hidden in every nook and cranny of the palace."

The Emperor's expression still didn't reveal anything and still seemed to be listening attentively. Seeing this, Ling Xiao's mind was a mess without a solution, but he also had no choice but to continue speaking, "True, these five eunuchs should die for trying to seek glory behind the back of their master; however, if Your Majesty forgives them this once, they will be useful later on."

"They can become Your Majesty's informers and monitor the other informers within the harem. Like this, those who dared to seek glory behind their master and concealed themselves will be found out one by one." Ling Xiao clenched his teeth as he finished it all in one breath and silently waited for the Emperor's reaction.

The Emperor listened with both hands clenched, then asked a question Ling Xiao neglected to answer.

"Where are those five eunuchs right now?"

Ling Xiao went blank and his heart began to feel weak. He had already acted on his own initiative and released those five. The Emperor, seeing him act this way, understood without him saying anything.

He sneered once.

He had doted on this little eunuch a little too much. He was already starting to lose his senses.

Ling Xiao frowned, he knew in his heart that it would be hard to obtain the Emperor's forgiveness this time, but he couldn't help but attempt one last save,"This servant regards the debt to Your Majesty very highly. For this servant to have the Eunuch Steward position, everything is so this servant can help share Your Majesty's worries and difficulties.

The Emperor looked at Ling Xiao with freezing cold eyes.

"Then, so to speak, everything you are doing is for Us."