Chapter 22

In his daze, Ling Xiao felt as if he was being held. His head rested on that person's broad and sturdy chest, and their embrace felt very warm. So warm that Ling Xiao wanted to cry for a reason he couldn't name.

Ling Xiao's hand hurt, and it hurt a lot. It was a burning hot pain that made him hate that he couldn't discard this hand.

His throat also hurt a lot, as if he was being pricked by needles. The pain was extensive, and so dry and rough that even swallowing was difficult.

However, his consciousness was very clear, and he knew that he couldn't faint. If he fainted, then his identity could be exposed at any moment. He couldn't lose his life because of that.

Ling Xiao forced himself to open his eyes. A vague image appeared in front of him, the shadow gradually becoming clear.

Sword-like eyebrows, a straight nose, pursed lips that formed a line with handsome and bright features, and a profound silhouette.

It was the Emperor. Ling Xiao's eyes squinted in astonishment, finding that he was being carried in the Emperor's embrace and that they were moving forward.

Ling Xiao was startled and powerlessly struggled, wanting to go down. The Emperor looked down at him and frowned, berating him, "Don't move."

After that, Ling Xiao didn't dare to move anymore.

The Emperor brought him to a room and placed him down on a soft bed.

Ling Xiao kept his eyes open, and the Emperor stood before him, looking down at him.

Ling Xiao tried to get up, but the Emperor stopped him, "Be at ease, the imperial physician will be here at once."

"Your... Your Majesty..." Ling Xiao made himself speak in spite of his condition, the sound that came out was so hoarse it amazed him and made the Emperor frown.

"If you have something to say, wait until you're better before you say it." The Emperor stated.

Ling Xiao pursed his lip and nodded, it could be considered a simplified salute. His head collapsed back down on the pillow, his eyelids also slowly lowered.

When he woke again, his surroundings were already free of the Emperor's shadow. Only a few maids were around, watching over him. Ling Xiao suddenly started in surprise.

"Steward, Steward, you're finally awake!" The maid on watch, seeing Ling Xiao rise, said with a tone full of pleasant surprise.

Ling Xiao looked at her, and she saluted, then slowly retreated as she said, "This servant will go notify the Emperor immediately."

Ling Xiao's eyes flashed and hurriedly stopped her, "Wait, come back first."

After saying that, Ling Xiao started to cough and choke, his throat still very dry and slightly painful. The maid hurriedly got water for him to drink, and Ling Xiao drank down two large bowls before he felt somewhat better.

When he set down the teacup, the maid was already waiting in front of Ling Xiao.

Ling Xiao slowly turned his body, then asked in a hoarse voice, "How long have I've been unconscious?"

The maid answered, "Replying to the Steward, you have been sleeping for one day and one night."

"One day and one night?" Ling Xiao frowned, then lifted his eyes to look around his surroundings. It was unexpectedly the Emperor's Qin Palace. Stunned, his eyes widened in surprise, and he looked at his clothes at once.

Fortunately, he still wore the same dirty and messed up clothes and had not been cleaned up by anyone. However, his hand had been wrapped thoroughly with bandages.