Chapter 18 - Candlelit Nights

Y/N POV

I can't sleep.

It's not unusual, this has been going on ever since I was born, but tonight is different because the fact that I can't sleep is bothering me.

I do my usual night routine. Once I'm sure that everyone is asleep, I move the step-stool that I keep in my closet over to the window. My window is right above the roof, so there's something to keep me from falling out of the window and onto the pavement. Toby follows behind me as I drop the emergency ladder. We climb down into the darkness.

I pull my hood up over my face so no one can recognize me as Toby and I walk down the street. We walk a couple miles to the convenience store we love.

As I open the door, I hear a bell ring as I let Toby go before me.

"Hey, Toby, didn't anyone tell you to let ladies go first? Haha."

"Hey, gramps." Mr. Sal is a 70 year old man who works late nights at the convenience store. We've known each other for years, so he lets me call him gramps.

"Hey, Y/N. How've you been?" Gramps asks. "I'm assuming you couldn't sleep again?"

"Yeah, can't sleep. Then again, what else is new?" I ask jokingly.

"You should take care of yourself, Y/N." He says.

"Yeah, but you know me. I spend so much time caring for myself rather than others. It's been that way since I was four, and I'm fifteen now. I don't think it's going to change anytime soon."

"I guess you're right. Just promise me that you're going to try and look after yourself, okay?" Gramps opens a drawer behind the counter and grabs a dog treat to give to Toby.

"Okay, gramps. I will." I reply.

"Good. Go pick out something that'll warm you up on the walk back home. It's raining outside and I wouldn't want you to get sick." He says, pointing to the hot food section of the store.

I nod and walk over. There are things like hot dogs, pizza, coffee, cinnamon rolls, churros, pancakes, hot chocolate, and burritos. I grab a slice of (favourite topping {tell me yours in the comments}) pizza and a (coffee, hot chocolate or mocha) and I went up to the register. On the way, I grab a bag of (favourite candy). I reach for my pocket and find twenty dollar note. I set the paper note on the counter next to my food, but gramps doesn't accept it.

"Keep it. You know the drill. I let you get something from my store every night, and I pay for it." Gramps says.

"At least let me pay for the candy since it wasn't part of the deal." I plead.

"No, it's okay. I know how much you love those candies. Run along now. It's getting late."

"Okay." I hug gramps before I leave. "Thank you for the food!"

"It was my pleasure, as always." Gramps replies.

Toby and I exit the store and run back home. I eat the pizza and throw it in a nearby dumpster, as well as the coffee cup, before continuing the trek home. I decide to shove the candy in my pocket and hide it when I get home.

I help Toby climb the ladder before I myself climb up. I fold up the ladder, and Toby and I climb quietly through the window. I put back the step stool before taking off my wet clothes, putting on my pyjamas, and falling asleep.