Chapter 24 - A Day...

A/N: Thank you for 20K reads!

FYI, there are going to be some songs in this chapter since I want to include music and ambiance more in my chapters. There will be some moments where it is recommended that you wait to start the music until that specific point, but it's also fine to start the music whenever you want.

No matter when you start the music, enjoy the chapter!

~Sam :3

Y/N POV

I wake up next to Xavier, who is playing with my hair out of boredom.

"Hey, Oreo."

I speak unintelligible gibberish that I try to make words. Xavier laughs.

"You must be tired. I didn't move so that you wouldn't wake up, but your dad told me he was going out with the Sides to get you a surprise." Xavier says. "So.... that means you're home alone for a while. It's an all day affair, so don't expect them to be home soon. They'll send updates to let you know that they're okay."

I attempt to say, "Okay," but I end up muffled by Xavier's sleeve.

"So, if you're hungry, I just called F/N and Jason. We're going to iHop." Xavier says.

I open my eyes and finally notice my surroundings. It's pitch black outside. I grab Xavier's phone from beside him and I check the time 02:36.

"The iHop is a little far. Oh, and before you say anything," He holds up a small water bottle with amber liquid in it. "You already had some of the good maple syrup in your food stash, so we're bringing our own.

"Wait, Xavier," I pause. "Why did they leave so early? Where is my dad going? I know he told you not to tell me, but I want to know where my dad is!" I say in an angered tone through drowsiness.

"He went to Miami. That's where he found it. It's a five and a half hour drive, so he wanted to get a head start. He's fine. Everything's okay." Xavier says, holding my hands.

"Okay." I reply.

"Good, now lets go get pancakes."

~time skip~

I poke my food with my fork. I love chocolate chip waffles, but with the combination of worrying about my dad being safe coupled with the fact that Patton didn't make the pancakes himself, I'm a bit down in the dumps. Xavier's noticed that I've been off the whole day, so he's been holding me and comforting me.

"Hey, I heard that this weekend the carnival is in town, and that it looks gorgeous at night. You up for it?" Xavier asks.

"Yeah, come on, Y/N! It's a carnival!" F/N says.

"I'll even punch the carnival man in the face if he doesn't give you a stuffed animal." Jason says.

"Okay, Fine! Let's go before I change my mind!" I laugh.

~time skip~

We get to the fair, and there's a light drizzle of raindrops falling from the sky. The colourful lights from all the rides reflect into the raindrops, making it look like drops of colour just falling softly on the ground. The smell of rain and funnel cake fills the air, wafting through the air. The screams of surprisingly many people can be heard, piercing my ears to the point where it hurts. Xavier has given me his hoodie, which smells of smoke from the haunted house he works for, and baked goods that he smuggled in his pockets for me. The softness of the hoodie feels like home, and it keeps me warm. Xavier has also lent me some earplugs to keep the screams sounding like nails in a chalkboard away from my ears. I frown, upset and worried about my dad. He's driving really far just to do something for me, and it scares me. I hope he'll be okay.