Chapter 13

The pride and joy I felt in the pit of my stomach didn't go away even after we dropped Sam off at college that Thursday night. As soon as we finished at the courthouse, we said our goodbyes and took off for college. It was best not to miss another day of classes for all three of us, not to mention training.

We didn't have much time to say goodbye to Sam because it was already around seven by the time we arrived at John Hopkins. Finn and I arrived home about an hour latter and started preparing for Friday. That included cramming all of the homework we didn't quite finish while away. To put it lightly, it was a long night.

In the morning I was surprised to be treated with an equally enthusiastic Jason which is something I had never experienced before. Needless to say, he put all three of us in a good mood. Truth be told, I think he missed us but he would never admit it.

It didn't hit me until I was playing with the channels on the televisions in the weight room, that I didn't remember most of the trial. I had been so consumed in nerves and flashbacks that I didn't even hear most of what was being said. I hoped that didn't translate on camera because the whole trial was being broadcasted all over major media channels. I stopped on one of the national stations when Anthony spoke up.

"You sure you want to watch this here?" He asked while walking into the weight room. Everyone was just arriving here but the broadcast was starting.

"Yeah. I want to see what all the critics are saying as they say it. Besides, you're all nosy assholes so you're all just going to go home and watch it anyway. Might as while do it while we do something productive." I earned a few chuckles when I called them nosy but they all knew it was true.

I decided that since I wanted to focus on the television, today would be my cardio day. Besides, I hadn't done cardio all week so I needed to get that over with. My feet mounted the treadmill and I started to run while I watched the anchor start the program.

"'The court case heard around the country' is what some analysts are calling the Mason vs Green, Alvarez, and Coleman case. Three guilty verdicts were reached yesterday as well was a landmark decision. Judge Dennis formally ruled that rape of an adult by a minor is punishable to the minor, not the adult. This is the first time that a ruling like this has been blatantly stated on the record. Critics across the board are calling this the most influential state level trial of the century. The case was riddled with abnormalities including the fainting of the plaintiff as well as political controversies such as allowing a women to play sports with men. Here we have all the highlights, only on CNN."

Oh great. I almost laughed at myself in pity. Everyone's going to watch me faint on National television. I'd be like that woman who made national news for passing out after she was convicted of conspiracy to commit murder of her ex-husband.

My friends might not be laughing but I would be.

My boyfriend would probably be glaring at me for making fun of a serious medical incident.

Similarly to me, most of us stayed near the treadmills, elliptical, and bikes is we could watch the news. I wasn't exactly focused on my running, it was just happening. When you got in the zone it was hard to focus on anything else. I knew my eyes and brain were zeroed in on the screen so I barely felt the burning in my  lungs and legs.

Some of the guys didn't exactly care about the trial, just the verdict. I didn't really mind though, it wasn't their business to being with. But, the ones that knew me semi well were very invested in it. Finn's interest surprised me the most. I had assumed he absorbed everything at the trial but it never crossed my mind that he too might have felt the whole process happen in a blur.

Finn was just better at hiding how he was feeling.

I watched him from the corner of my eye as we ran side by side on the treadmills. His sharp jaw clenched when I was accused of statutory rape. Some people were repelled by anger, but for some reason I found it endearing. Perhaps it was a toxic thing. I shouldn't be attracted to men with aggressive tendencies but then again, all my friends and myself had them. We were athletes. Besides, it didn't make me scared of him because never once was it ever directed at me.