Chapter 1

I walked into the room for my second day of math tutoring. I let out a small sigh, I hated math. It was so worthless to me.

"Hi Mrs.Hemmings," I said with a soft smile, watching her walk through the door.

"Hi Bailey, how are you today?" She asked me with a smile in return

"Alright, just glad tomorrow is Friday," I said taking a seat at the table in her dining room.

As a junior in highschool, I was terrible at math. Algebra I was decent at, and geometry I did average, but trigonometry? I was completely lost.

After receiving my first "D" my dad was absolutely livid, and forced me to get a tutor. It made me mad that he yelled at me, because in high school it wasn't exactly about getting the best grades anymore. It was just about passing and doing as much as you could to get by.

Plus, my two older siblings never got grades even close to mine so he really had no right to complain. They even cut class most of the time since they both had their own cars starting their sophomore year. Also it wasn't helping my grades that my dad made me join my high school softball team. I loved playing softball, I just wasn't all that great. I had practice everyday after school for 3 hours, barely giving me enough time to get homework done. But being the person I am, I shut up and did what he asked; I got a tutor to hopefully improve my grade.

My older brother told me when he was in high school a few years back, many of his friends tutored with Mrs. Hemmings and they all said she was great.

So here I am, sitting in the Hemmings dining room about to relearn the law of sine's.

"Mom?" I heard a deep voice call while entering through the front door.

"I'm in here sweetie." Mrs. Hemmings replied.

"I was wondering-" the guy said pausing "Oh sorry I didn't mean to interrupt" he continued, rubbing the back of his neck and biting the inside of his cheek.

Of course Mrs. Hemmings had the respectful kids. She was so respectful and kind herself.

"Don't worry, Luke. This is Bailey Parker. She's taking trigonometry with Mrs. Lynn. I'm tutoring her for a while."

"Hey," Luke said and I just gave him a small smile.

Mrs. Hemmings then turned to me, "this is my son Luke. He's a junior as well, and has the same teacher. Probably just a different period than you do"

"Nice to meet you," I said shyly even though I knew who he was.

I had seen him plenty of times at school, but I didn't have any classes with him. I knew he was friends with Ashton Irwin, and moved here from Australia not too long ago.

I was the quiet girl at school; people rarely knew my name, but I knew theirs. I was quite the observer. Of course I knew who Luke was. He was actually quite attractive, and a few years ago he was the new kid from Australia, but I had never spoken to him. I don't think he had ever seen me before to be honest. He was just the boy in school who had pretty blue eyes, and was really good at hockey. Everyone knew about his hockey team. He played with Ashton and their team was supposedly the best in town.

"I was wondering if I could go see the Lego movie with Ashton tonight?" Luke asked his mom.

"Sure, just be back by 9:30. It's a school night. I'll give you some money before you leave." Mrs. Hemmings said sweetly to her son.

-

After almost an hour and a half, Mrs. Hemmings helped me get my sheet of homework done, and mostly understand what we did in class.

"Hello?" I said into my phone.

"Hey Bailey, I can't pick you up from tutoring, can you walk home tonight or ask Liz for a ride home?" My dad said through the phone. My dad was always working, always busy.

He worked 6 days a week, almost 12 hour shifts. But that's what happens when you're a divorced and single parent. You have to support your kids alone.

Even though I'm the only one left at home, he still helps my brother and sister pay for their college debt.

After thinking about it for a quick second, I decided I would just walk. I didn't want to bother Mrs. Hemmings anymore than I had to, and it wasn't too far. I could probably use the exercise because I was the size of a stick; underweight and had next to no muscle on my body.

"Yeah I can walk home; it's not a big deal." 

After hanging up the phone I grabbed my stuff and stood up from the table.

"Thank you Mrs. Hemmings, I'll be back Tuesday," I said slowly walking towards the front door.

"Did I hear you say you're walking home honey?" She asked me. Then I heard feet moving quickly down the stairs.

"I can take you home, I wouldn't want you to walk it's going to be dark soon," she continued to say, seeming very concerned.

"My dad got caught up at work, I can walk it's really not that far." I said with an appreciative smile.

"Oh are you leaving Luke?" Mrs. Hemmings said turning towards her son "I need to give you money for your ticket before I go drop Bailey off"

"Well I wanted to ask if I could use your car to get to the movie theater? I can take her home mom. I wouldn't mind, as long as you let me drive," Luke chimed in.

"That would be very nice of you! The keys are hanging by the door. Have a good time, and I'll see you Tuesday Bailey." She smiled at me.

"Bye mom," Luke said kissing his mom's cheek after taking the money from her, then walking out the door.

I didn't really want to walk home, but I felt awkward making Luke take me.

Luke clicked the unlock button on his keys, before walking over to the passenger side and opening the door for me.

"Thanks," I mumbled awkwardly with a small smile.

"No problem," he said calmly before getting in on the driver's side and peering over to the windows on his house "my mom makes sure I'm polite, she's probably looking out the window making sure I did that or she would beat my ass" he chuckled.

I let out a small laugh "You know, you don't have to take me home, I could handle walking," I said shyly.

I hated how shy I was, but I was intimidated by people if they weren't annoying me.

"No don't worry. I have to pick up Ashton anyways and it will be convenient since you live near him," he said to me. I gave him a confused look. That's weird... how did he know where I lived? I stayed quiet. He soon caught on and said, "I remember I use to see you get off at Ashton's bus stop. I would wait for Ashton to get off the bus, then my mom and I would pick him up and we would go to hockey practice. I don't wanna sound creepy," he said, trying to laugh and not be too awkward.

I nodded my head and laughed too before sitting back and getting comfortable in my seat as Luke pulled out of his driveway and drove towards my house.

-

A/N

Hey guys! i'm ricki!

this is my first story on wattpad so I hope you guys enjoy.

The first couple of chapters are boring because they set everything up, but they should get better! :)

I'm gonna post the first three chapters this week. After the first 3 i'll probably update every Sunday and Thursday!

anways, my twitter is @procrashtinates okay bye :)