Chapter 8

It was a quiet Monday around my house; I read a majority of the day. While reading my new book, my dad started to call me.

"Hey dad," I said spinning around in my office chair at my desk.

"Bailey, I left the last payment of Mrs. Hemmings tutoring on the table. Can you walk over there and give it to her?"

"Yeah."

"Okay call me when you get over there if you don't want to walk home i'll come pick you up. I should be getting off early tonight."

I told my dad I'd call if I needed him to pick me up because I didn't necessarily mind walking, and I pulled on my shoes.

I called Luke to ask if his mom was home, but there was no answer.

On the way out of my room, I grabbed my phone off the charger and my headphones before plugging them in.

I enjoyed the sun heating up my skin as I walked. There was a long winter and lots of snow this year, so it was nice to have warm weather. The color of the leaves was the darkest green I had seen in a long time. There were many other people out enjoying the nice day that was occurring. I wish I had the motivation to jog to Luke's house since it wasn't too hot outside, so I could get some exercise. I needed to start working out.

After about 6 songs, I reached Luke's house. I knocked on the door waiting for someone to answer.

"Hi honey," Luke's mom exclaimed, opening the door to let me in before pulling me in for a hug.

I flinched as I heard a loud bang coming from the garage door to my right.

"Sorry, Luke's in the garage shooting pucks," she said explaining to me. I nodded as I followed her into the kitchen.

"What brings you by sweetie? Do you want a drink?" She asked smiling at me, leaning against the counter.

"No thank you," I said reaching into my bag.
"My dad wanted me to drop off my last tutor payment," I said pulling out the envelope with the money in it.

"I told him I didn't need the last payment," she said sounding slightly frustrated.

"Take it, after all... you're the reason I averaged a B- in that class," I said with extreme gratitude.

I never would have understand much in that class if it weren't for Mrs. Hemmings' help. She smiled at me, taking the envelope out of my hands as I heard the garage door shut.

A sweaty Luke walked in wearing just gym shorts hanging loosely off his hips and a black t shirt hanging around his neck. I noticed his toned abdomen glistening with sweat but quickly averted my eyes, feeling slightly awkward since his mom was in the room.

"Oh hey," he said as he looked up from his phone, pulling the headphones out of his ears. "Didn't know you were coming by."

"I had to drop off my last payment to my favorite tutor," I said smiling at Mrs. Hemmings.

"You're too sweet," she said patting my back.

"I should probably go," I said as I slowly began to make my way out of the kitchen not having much to conversate about.

"So soon?" His mom frowned at me, "why don't you stay for dinner, honey?"

"Oh no I wouldn't want to intrude," I said looking at the ground.

"No it's fine, Bailey," she said reassuring me.

"It won't be too long until it's done anyways and it's only Luke and I tonight so it will be kind of lonely" she said guilting me.