Chapter 32

"Bailey stay with me," I heard Luke say, trying not to break down. I knew he was trying to be strong for me.

"Please." He begged as he took a hold of my hand, squeezing it. I tried to squeeze back but I didn't have the strength.

"Luke," I said in just a whisper. I could barely keep my eyes open.

I was dying, I had to be dying. I was determined this had to be it. My time had run out, sooner than expected.

"You're going to be okay, Bailey." He said sternly.

I felt like we were moving, but I couldn't comprehend what was happening.

"That's the thing", I started to say, "You don't get lucky twice, Luke." I said as my voice started to fade.

"I love you," I said but it barely came out as a whisper as I fell into complete darkness.

-

I fluttered my eyes open. I looked around to see bright lights and white walls. I heard the familiar beeps of a monitor confirming I was in the hospital.

I looked around but my stomach dropped when I found that it was empty. The only person with me was Dr. Chase.

"You're awake," he said looking at some paperwork and I nodded.

"How are you feeling?" he asked taking a seat in the chair next to my bed.

"Foggy." I said as I looked up at the clock, it was past midnight. The last three hours were a blur, I didn't remember much after Luke walked me to the door.

"You fainted a few hours ago Bailey, your dad and boyfriend rushed you here." He said recalling the memories for me.

"Can you answer a few questions for me, or are you not feeling up to it?" he asked.

"I can do it," I said. I didn't want to feel defeated anymore. I felt weak, but I didn't feel like I was going to pass out again.

"How many meals did you eat today?" he asked which made me confused.

"2 big meals, one with my family and one with Luke's." I said answering his question but not knowing why the information mattered.

"Did you feel overwhelmed at any time of the day?"

"I felt like I was overheating this evening, but I was in a crammed house talking to a lot of people."

"How many hours of sleep did you get last night?" he asked as he scribbled notes onto a piece of paper.

"Probably 5 at the most," I said remembering tossing and turning the night prior. I had gotten up several times. He nodded, and shut his folder.

"Do you want me to talk to you alone first, or do you mind the others being in the room?" he asked.

I wasn't sure what he meant by others, it was past midnight so I assumed it was probably just my dad and maybe my sister waiting outside for me. I was nervous for what he had to say, because I knew it was probably bad.

"You can bring them in," I said. I watched Dr. Chase as he stepped outside and told whoever else was out there that I was awake.

I watched as my dad, sister and brother walked into my room. A small smile grew on my face as I watched Luke walk in last. Seeing all of them here for me made me smile, but it also made my heart heavy. They each probably had the same thought I did; that I was going to die.

"We took an emergency MRI when you first brought Bailey in a few hours ago." Dr. Chase began, "It was clean, the growth of the tumor is very slow but we did see some brain pressure,"