Chapter 40

Today had been a busy busy day. I was glad to be able to crash on the couch when I got home.

This morning was our last graduation rehearsal. We spent two hours making sure everyone knew their places and how things would go down for graduation tomorrow. Afterwards, I had to run to the mall with Casey so we could both get an outfit to wear under our cap and gown, but also to grab some things for our graduation party we were hosting afterwards. We then made sure the catering was squared away for the party as well. Basically, we were very productive.

I stood up from the couch and grabbed a pill from the headache medication my doctors had given me. I washed down the pill with some water and made my way back to the couch. I looked at the clock, seeing I should probably get in the shower before Luke got home from band practice. I walked into the bathroom and turned on the shower, letting the water warm up. After the temperature was to my liking, I stepped in.

After my shower, I was cleaning up the living room when Luke came in.

"Hi babe," I hollered over my shoulder with my back to the door. I was folding the blanket we kept on the back of the couch.

"Hi," Luke said, wrapping his arms around my waist. I could feel his breath on the back of my neck making me giggle.

"Hi," I said with a smile turning in his arms to face him. Luke held me tighter and rubbed his forehead on the side of my cheek.

"Luke!" I yelled, "You're sweaty!"

I finally broke free from his embrace and Luke laughed. "I hate you," I pouted. Luke walked over to me. He placed one hand on my hip, pulling me closer and laid his other on my neck, leaning in to give me a soft kiss.

"No you don't," Luke said pulling back from my lips. "I'm going to go shower, remember we're meeting my parents for a pre-graduation dinner at 6," he called walking into our room.

"Please put a towel on the floor, we don't need you getting water everywhere," I said following him. He always flooded the bathroom floor when he showered.

"Yeah, yeah," he said walking into the bathroom making me laugh.

The clock on the wall read 4:30pm, so I walked over to the closet and chose an outfit to wear to dinner.

-

"Are you guys excited for tomorrow?" Mrs. Hemmings asked taking a sip of her water.

"Yeah, glad to be done with high school," Luke said.

"Me too, but at the same time it went so fast," I added.

"Time flies," Luke's dad said.

Our waiter came out with our food, and we all ate in silence for the first few minutes.

"How have you been feeling Bailey?" Luke's mom asked.

"Alright, a little more tired than usual," I said taking a bite of the chicken I ordered. We had been so busy between finals, registering for college, and graduation. I hadn't had much time to just spend a few days in bed all day watching Netflix. I needed a day to relax honestly.

Luke made small talk with his parents, about his college classes he chose, and if he was looking forward to them. It's crazy how only two months stood in our way of being college kids. The waiter came by to clear our plates and Luke's mom pulled something out of her purse. It was a piece of paper folded up.

"Luke, your dad and I got you something for graduation," she said with an excited smile. She slid the paper across the table towards Luke and he gave it a questioning look before he began to unfold it. His eyes skimmed the paper quickly and a big smile spread across his face.