05 » Difficulties

After putting my clothes away and finishing my food, I walked back to the hall. Since Niall 'forgot' to give me a tour of the house, I decided to explore a little myself. I ended up in the kitchen, which was attached to the living room in an L-shape. Two walls were nothing but glass, with a beautiful view to his garden. Not to my surprise, it included a pool.

I saw Niall sitting on his sofa in the living room, talking. He had his phone on his ear while watching a football game. I decided to stick around the kitchen to give him his privacy as I had no idea who he was talking to, and unlike him, I had enough decency not to eavesdrop.

I searched for a glass in one of the many cabinets and filled it up with tap water. I took a seat on the cooking island, overlooking his garden. Multiple times, I heard how he raised his voice, which made me believe his manager was on the other side, feeling Niall's wrath. A grin appeared on my face. Niall's wrath, psssh. What could that little popstar possibly wreak?

Niall had noticed me after a few minutes and abruptly hung up his phone. 

" My management wants us to start tonight," Niall said as he came walking to the kitchen. He had changed into shorts and a polo. He leaned against the island, his hands flat on the countertop.

" What exactly do they want us to start?" I asked to clarify.

" The act. You know, you posing as my girlfriend and protect me and stuff," He said and scratched his ear. " They suggested us to go to a cinema so we don't have to talk a lot, but are together that way." 

I was utterly surprised. Niall hadn't spoken so many words since I had met him two hours earlier. His mood probably changed as fast as the British weather.

I put my glass down. " All right. Any preferences for a movie?" I asked him. Niall took out his phone to check the movies currently in the cinema. Niall didn't like horror movies, so those were immediately shot down. We both shied away from anything romantic or romcom, so we ended up on Avengers: Infinity War.

I had kept on the same clothes I had already on:  a pair of black skinny jeans with a loose white t-shirt, a light denim jacket, and black boots. I had hidden my weapon in the shaft of my boot, which was built on carrying weapons. It wasn't exactly comfortable, but then again I wasn't here for my own comfort.

I had dispatched our next location to Kellan a few minutes before we left. He had an undercover team to our location if we'd needed it.

I had allowed Niall to drive tonight because apparently, it was strange when you'd let a woman drive. Quite sexist, but as long as there wasn't any immediate threat I was fine. I kept an eye on our surroundings while he drove.

" They've leaked our location to the press," Niall said after a while. " So act as if you don't see them. My manager set it up." He grasped the steering wheel a little tighter and a sigh slipped out his mouth.

" Just to be clear, I'd expected to be somewhere else, too." I clarified.

" You could just have said no," Niall responded, his eyes still on the road.

" I couldn't because the boss of my boss already said yes before I even knew about it," I said with my eyebrows raised. Niall glanced sideways. " Really?" He sounded seriously surprised.

" Did you notice any kind of goodwill when I pushed you against that wall?" Niall swallowed visibly when I reminded him of what I had done earlier that day. 

" Honestly, I doubt you can do anything about this mess," Niall muttered. He seemed a little droopy.

" I have a full team at work at headquarters. Surely, they can find something Metro Police has overlooked. And if there'll be even any change you're in danger, I will make sure to get you to safety. Even if it means I might die." It was a tad dramatic, but it seemed to cheer him up a little.

" Did you mean that?" Niall asked me. He even looked into my eyes when asking.

" It's my job description, so  yes." I pulled up my t-shirt, revealing a thin, bulletproof vest. " I'm not fully bulletproof, but I can take a few."  A grin appeared on Niall's face.

It didn't take long until we arrived at the chosen cinema. Niall parked his car a few meters from the entrance and then turned to me. His face was serious. " Don't beat me up when I do something, okay?" He warned me.

" As long as you will not kiss me without announcing it first, I will not beat you up." Niall shook his head. " We'll keep that for a few dates later."  

I had no idea how to reply to that, so I just stared at him with my eyebrows raised. Niall laughed. " I will warn you." He promised.

Niall got out of the car and walked to my side to help me out. " I didn't know you could be so gallant," I commented and got out of the car.

Niall slammed the car door behind me. " I give my all for shows," He said with a wide smile on his face, as he locked his door.  " Let's go." 

Niall grabbed my hand. I had to push down the urge to slap away his hand. " You're struggling, aren't you?" Niall teased. I looked at him with outrage. " What? Me?" 

Niall started laughing. " Yes, you! For grabbing your hand like that. Aren't you used to holding hands with someone?" 

" Don't push me, Niall. By the way, isn't this your fretting hand?" I asked and squeezed it a little too hard. Niall grimaced. " Okay, okay. I'm sorry." He apologized.

We had to wait in line outside to get a ticket. I felt like a real prude, while I shouldn't feel like one. I had enough men in my life. Mostly for just one night, no longer than that. I wondered if they'd even remember me. Most of them were still drunk when they left my apartment.

Niall put his arm on my waist while we waited. I could feel the heat of his hands radiating on my hip. He did this on purpose, I could tell. Just to test me and my limits. I had to admit that it made feel a little restless, but he'd never know. Instead of pushing him away, I put my head on his shoulder.

" Your courage is admiring," Niall mentioned, his tone sarcastic. I looked up. " I'm more experienced in other fields." 

It was our turn. The teen behind the ticket booth stared starry-eyed at Niall, while he asked for two tickets. Her gaze shifted to me, and I could see she put one and one together. She handed Niall the two tickets and his change, her hands shook and her voice a little unstable. Niall and I then walked inside. Poor girl.