22 » So you're the famous Kellan Blake

I slowly woke up by a beeping sound, and the pounding of my head.

I slowly opened my eyes and blinked to sharpen my view. I was disoriented for a few seconds. Where the hell was I? I wasn't in Niall's house, by the look of it. I eyed a needle stuck in my hand, with a dark red tube leading to it. And then I noticed him.

Someone had draped a Metropolitan Police coat across his upper body. With his hand leaning in his hand and his feet tucked under the chair he was sat on, Niall was fast asleep. His breathing was slow and deep, rhythmic.

The events slowly returned to me, and relief flashed over me. I smiled softly. He was fine.

Behind him, through the window, I noticed it was half-dark outside. How long had I been out? 

I glanced up and noticed a blood bag hanging from an infusion container. That explained the red tube. I couldn't remember much of what happened in the alley, or how I had gotten here.

Hospital. I was at a hospital, my mind slowly registered. 

My arm was bandaged, just like my pinky finger and my pointy finger. I tried to move them, which hurt more than I anticipated. I let out a hiss.

I noticed how the sleepy figure moved. I moved my gaze to his. Niall blinked a few times and smiled when he noticed I was awake. 

" Hey, sleepyhead," I said to him. My throat was raw and painful, visible through my voice. Niall stretched his arms above his head and got up.

" Says the person who decided to pass out in a dark alley."

That hurt more than I had expected. He was right. I hadn't protected him until the end. I looked away from him.

" What's wrong?" he asked quietly. Niall climbed on the bed and grabbed my hand. " I'm a lousy bodyguard," I said, looking at our intertwined fingers.

" What do you mean? You crossed through half the city to get me to safety. No one else would've done that for me." I looked up, into his honest face.

" I passed out. The person could've circled back and killed you right there and then! I wouldn't necessarily call me a good bodyguard." Out of frustration, a few ters escaped my eyes. Niall wiped them away with his thumb - rough of all the guitar playing. 

" It wouldn't have been your fault if he had," he said, his eyes piercing mine. " There's no one better than Mercer Fulton, or Sadie Iverson, or any other former alias you bore. No one would've responded the way you did today. I am so proud of you, Mer." I shook my head in response.

Niall grabbed my chin, his grip stronger than I anticipated. " I am. I am extremely proud of you." 

His face came closer, slowly. I knew I should've rejected him like any proper bodyguard would've done. But, my heart had sighed in relief to see him, safe and sound, sleeping in that uncomfortable chair. And it grew, every inch his face came closer to mine.

Eventually, his soft lips found mine. He cupped my cheek with his calloused hands while he kissed me. He tasted of coffee, and something sweet. Chocolate, perhaps. I'd never tasted anything better than that. I noticed how he elicited something new from my heart, something I hadn't experienced before.

The kiss seemed to last an eternity, but also seemed nearly not enough when our lips parted, Niall breathing heavily. His face didn't creep away from mine, as he caught his breath.

" Mercer... I've got this feeling that this fake relationship is turning into something... real," Niall admitted. I laughed and nodded, " I've been thinking the same." His lips found mine again, and I noticed how good this felt. How badly I actually wanted him.

The door behind Niall opened, startling the both of us. A loud smack sounded as he parted his lips and leaned back. Kellan and Mark walked in.

 Mark's face resembled the face of someone who'd just won the lottery. Kellan seemed actually surprised.

" Did the prince kiss you awake, or did you snap out of the unconsciousness yourself?" Kellan joked. I shot him a foul glance. Niall's cheeks turned a bright red colour, but didn't move an inch.

" So, you're the famous Kellan Blake," Niall said to him. Kellan turned around like a supermodel showing the latest fashion. " The one and only. I just came down here to see if my subordinate was still alive," He said airy, though I could tell under that thick, arrogant skin of his, he was actually relieved. He casually tucked his hands in his pockets.

" I wanted to ask how you were doing, but I believe Dokter Horan patched you up quite well." 

I groaned loudly. "Kellan, please. I will rip off that rutting face of yours if you don't quit." 

Kellan laughed loudly. " Oh, all those threats... I love you too, dear child," he blinked. I shook my head, annoyed with him already. He was only three years older than I was.

" Did you manage to catch the perpetrator?" I asked. Kellan's gaze moved from my face to my bed, as he shook his head. " If you hadn't shouted you were MI6 when you barged past that roadblock, we wouldn't have caught your location that quickly. Metro followed you, but they lost the both of you. We don't know his current whereabouts." 

" I hit him, either his hand or arm," I remembered. " Call every hospital in the area. Don't forget GP's, vets... Any place where they can patch up a wounded person." 

Kellan nodded, wanting to turn around. " I thought she was your subordinate?" Mark asked him, visibly amused. Kellan shrugged. " She's just telling me things I was planning to do anyway. It's not really that big of a deal." 

" Get to work, Blake. You've got a lot to make up for after that major misstep of yours," I reminded him. Kellan nodded once and quickly left.