12 » Man be careful with a fool

Niall adjusted himself fairly well the weeks thereafter. His attitude dropped to zero, he asked me more often about my opinion and took interest in different aspects of my job. In the meantime, we went on set-up dates, talked about anything we could come up with, held hands for the photographers and went back to his house.

At the office, my team had a hard time finding something concrete that'd lead us to a possible suspect. Niall's management received a few more letters, which were sent to the headquarters immediately. Niall was kept out of it for the most part, because it upset him more than he lead us to believe. We could get along now, but neither of us forgot the reason why I was still here, even if at the moment, Niall wasn't involved directly.

It was promotion day today. Niall and his team were going to visit all radio channels in London, as he was releasing his new single today. Niall had been singing the song so much around the house, I could recite every word. It was kind of a sad song, about a relationship that's ended. It was a good song, but it kind of saddened me everytime I heard it. 

I came along as well, as his flashy girlfriend who wanted to experience this rock and roll lifestyle. To be fair, I would've preferred some training with Niall and Mark today, but that wasn't going to happen. I was a bit excited though, to see how the radio DJ's worked their magic.

My team, however, had their hands full, along with Niall's management, the undercover agents, and the Metro Police Department. They managed to plant people everywhere without breaking MI6's bank or getting unwanted attention.

Besides, I was there, too. I wasn't exactly what I would call a wonder woman, but I could do enough to make sure he'd be secure.

And then there's his performance later tonight, on the live broadcast of X Factor. They'd arranged so much security for him there, that I hoped I wouldn't be useless if there was anything to happen.

I wore a black and white striped skinny jeans with an old Jimi Hendrix t-shirt and a denim jacket. Inside, I hid my gun. Underneath my t-shirt, I wore a bulletproof vest. I had given Niall one too. I wasn't sure if he was wearing it now. All I could do is hope that he was.

We were out early. Niall's chauffeur drove us to the first location, where we'd meet his band. The first stop was BBC Radio 1. This radio station was probably the most popular one out there, and coincidentally, it played in the armored taxi, too.

Niall had his guitar on his lap because he forgot to tune it at home.

" I've played guitar in the past," I said to him. I was sat across from him. Niall looked up. " Really? You haven't really shown interest in my guitar wall..." That's right, I hadn't. I had looked at it, when he wasn't around.

" I haven't played for four years. It got lost when I was still serving." I tried not to talk too loudly and used different words. The chauffeur might've been screened three times back at the headquarters and might have put his signature on a confidentiality paper, but that wouldn't mean that he couldn't endanger this mission. Every detail he knew, could be potentially dangerous.

Niall immediately understood. " Was it stolen?" He asked, to which I shrugged. " Probably. I haven't purchased one again because I'm not home often anyway." Niall nodded and twisted his g-string slightly. 

" Would you like to play?" He asked, and held out his guitar to me... " It'll take a while until we're there. London traffic is a bitch." 

Because I didn't want to be called a coward by the man himself, I took the guitar from him and put it on my lap. The shape was familiar, despite the fact I hadn't touched a guitar in four years.

I touched the strings to see how tightly spun they were. I noticed it were new strings as well.

Without hesitating, I started playing a little blues riff. " Alright, not bad, not bad," Niall agreed. He seemed genuinely impressed. He then took out his phone and started filming me. I frowned.

" Proof us there's more behind Sadie than we know," He dared and winked at me.

" This should be played on an electric guitar," I warned him. Niall rolled his eyes, " Just play, damn it." 

So I did. I put my fingers on the right frets and strings and started playing one of my favorite songs. It was Be Careful With a Fool by Johnny Winter.

My fingers didn't really slide as well on the strings as they would have on an electric guitar, but despite not having played for four years, the sound was not at all bad on Niall's acoustic guitar.

I dared myself to look up and saw how Niall's jaw had dropped. Behind me, I noticed how the chauffeur had turned down the volume of his radio. I sang along with the little lyrics the song had, which was probably ruining the whole thing. 

" Jesus, Sade!" Niall exclaimed when I put out a spotless riff. I ended the song after probably two minutes, while the original song lasted six. My fingers couldn't take it any longer. I had enough callus on my hands, but not on my fingertips.

Niall stopped filming, and I handed him his guitar." Thanks for letting me play," I said to Niall, who put down his phone. His mouth opened and closed like a fish. He had no clue what to say.

" And you're showing me this just now?" He asked in disbelief. I started laughing. " Honestly, I thought I couldn't even do it anymore," I replied.

" I'm going to get you a guitar. I don't care what you think of it, I will get you one. Oh, and can I please post that video? It's amazing," he asked as he looked at me.

" Do whatever you want with it, as long as you keep my name out of it and post it after you've done all your interviews and performances." 

Niall appeared jolly with my confirmation as he put his guitar back in the guitar case at our feet.

" If your career doesn't hold out, please drop by at my place. I think people will line up for you and your guitar." 

I shook my head. " My career will only last as long as I keep you alive. Which means I can't really drop by at your place to start off my blues career if I'm out of a job." 

Niall was visibly thrown back into reality. " Right," He nodded and stared out the window.