31 » Don't. Move.

I had spotted an Italian restaurant earlier that afternoon where we decided to go to after laying on the beach all afternoon.

It was plainly decorated, with mostly bare walls and simple tables and chairs and a few benches. We chose a table in the back with two retro benches similar to those in American movies.

The waitress was deeply impressed she was serving Niall, her attention drifting to him every few seconds. I didn't blame her. She most likely rarely encountered celebrities with the number of tourists she served on a daily.

Niall ordered an Hawaiian pizza, and I ordered a pepperoni.

" Most people would consider you their arch enemy if they found out you ate a pizza with pineapple," I said when the girl walked away. Niall folded his hands under his chin as he looked at me. " I think it's very much acceptable to eat pineapple on pizza. Why should I care about a few more arch enemies?"

I smirked. " If people find out the blessed, famous Niall Horan eats his pizza with pineapple on it, they'll scurry away like rats being interrupted on their garbage meal." I dramatically waved my hands. " Breaking News: Niall Horan has gone bankrupt, roughly seven minutes after posting a picture of is Hawaiian pizza." It elicited a smile from his side.

" Management breaks all ties with Mr. Horan and has to sell all his gold and platinum plates to afford a hot meal at night." I did a bad job at my rendition of a news reporter, as I attempted to faint.

Niall laughed and shook his head. " Have you lost your marbles?"

" A long time ago," I smirked. " I suggest you give it a shot - posting a picture of your pineapple pizza, Mr. all mouth and no trousers."

" Okay. If I find one article online, I owe you something. If I don't, you owe me something." He held out his hand for me to shake, which I did. " Deal."

" We'd been spotted by two young girls sitting at the other side of the restaurant. Niall, oblivious to any type of attention drawn to him, had once again no clue.

" You've got admirers," I spoke softly. " I know you admire me, Mer," Niall smirked.

I rolled my eyes. " Is it that obvious?" I asked, sarcastically. " I meant the two across the restaurant, you numpty."

Niall took a few seconds until he turned around. I had to give him credits for his acting. " Oh," he said. " Yeah, I get those everywhere," he shrugged.

" I think I'm the one scaring them off. Otherwise, they'd be all over you."

Niall smirked. " I wouldn't dare either now I've seen the full force that is Mercer. Especially after that tv interview, gods no."

I looked away.

" Did I say something wrong? " his hand reached for mine, his thumb caressing the back of my hand on the table.

" I'm sorry, you know I don't mean it like that," he quietly spoke. I met his gaze. " Do people really see me that way?" I questioned. Niall's worried face made me anxious.

" Maybe. I don't know what they think. But, what I do know is there's a decent and loving person behind that tough, badass mask."

The waitress delivered our pizza's, along with our drinks. I wanted to get my hand out of the way, but Niall clasped it as if it was the only thing holding him. I flashed him an annoyed look, but he just stared back at me, dauntless and strong. The waitress noticed the tension and quickly walked off.

" Don't punish yourself like that," he muttered. " You're a good person. Hell, you're the only one on this planet who's job is also their true motto: living to protect others, rather than protecting and living your own life. Why do you care what other people think about you? The people who know you, know who you really are. Including me." His tone was harsh but his eyes were puddles of love.

He wanted to take a sip off his drink, but I slapped his hand away with my free hand. He raised a brow.

" You seriously believe I let you drink your own drink after that?" His face softened as I took a sip.

" That's what I mean," Niall said. He'd touched me with his soppy words, but I didn't want to let the waterworks flow in some plain Italian restaurant in some packed away corner of the country.

" We had a deal, remember?" I reminded him before he went to cut his pizza. Niall was still holding my hand, as he smirked and took out his phone to take a picture of it.

" There we go, it's posted. We shall see who wins."

I heard a noise coming from his seat. A noise I had heard when we sat down on this table but not paid any attention to. Not a squeak or tear from the cushioned bench itself. It was a noise I had been taught to hear, to distinguish. Fear started to crawl upon me. Niall noticed the switch in my eyes and posterior.

" Stay in that bench. Whatever you do, don't move and don't get up." I spoke clear and loud enough. Niall's eyes grew big as he squeezed my hand.

"W- what's happening Mercer?" I heard the fear in his voice.

" Don't move." my voice wasn't the steady voice I had been taught to use in situations like these. My mind was overflowing with thoughts and the taught instructions. How did they know we would go to this restaurant? How did they know we were going to sit here, at this exact table?

" You have to let go of my hand," I spoke quietly. " Just for a second, please," I begged. Niall swallowed loudly as he slowly let go of my hand.

I truly hoped I was wrong. Without moving my body, I grabbed an extendable mirror from my bag. One like dentists had, but with a bigger mirror. I extended the mirror slowly as I decided to look underneath my own bench first. I swallowed when I saw the wires and the box underneath it. I swiftly moved it to Niall's side to discover the exact same thing. I let out a shivering breath. This wasn't good. This was not good at all."

Niall had been watching me the entire time and noticed the look in my eyes as our eyes met. " Mercer?" His tone was fearful but compelling.

" I said, don't move," I hissed. I put the mirror back in my bag and grabbed my phone as I quickly searched the number of the restaurant on Google. They answered within one ring.

" How can I help you?" The waitress asked as she told me what restaurant we were in. The same waitress that'd helped us.

" Listen carefully. It's Sadie Iverson of the Metropolitan Police speaking. You know I'm the one in your restaurant." I spoke quietly, but loud enough for the woman on the other side of the line to hear me. " Yes?" she replied, though a little surprised.

" Good. I want you to listen carefully to what I say. There's a sign on the door - turn it around so it says you're closed. Don't lock the door. I want you to take my mirror and to look underneath the seats of the two girls in the restaurant. Can you do that for me?" My voice was clearer than I had expected.

The waitress emerged from the back with the phone still in her hands. I could tell she noticed the tension between us. She did as I said, as she twisted the door sign to closed.

I got the mirror out of my pocket. " What is it I have to see?" she quietly asked.

" Whether there's something beneath their chairs. Tell them not to move and to stay calm."

The waitress nodded, her shoulders tense as she took the mirror from me. She walked over to the girls - both visibly tensing as the waitress talked to them, and checked their chairs.

" Nothing." She had the actual nerve to sound annoyed with me.

I let out a shuddering breath of relief. " Take them with you out the back door, and evacuate the rest of your co-workers. Don't do anything else, I will call the authorities. It'll be more efficient and quicker. Do it. Now."

She motioned the girls to come with her. The three of them disappeared through the back door. She was talking to other people, telling them they had to leave immediately.

" Everyone is out the building. May I ask what's going on?" she asked. I looked at Niall as I answered.

" Someone put pressure-sensitive bombs underneath our benches."