16 » leprechaun or a four-leaf clover?

" Any updates, dear Blake?"

I was sat outside at the dining table with my laptop in front of me. The sun was shining brightly on my bare arms. Kellan's face was on my laptop screen.

" We've done everything we can. This person is like a ghost," his voice blasted through my earbuds. I quickly put the sound down. I sighed and rested my head on my hands.

" The letters get more and more detailed, which suggest this person is waiting for something. Perhaps towards an important date for either Niall or the person sending these letters." Kellan held up his finger before I could say anything.

" I know what you're going to say, almighty Mercer. We have requested his agenda at his managers, but there's nothing that really jumps out when we compare it with the letters." 

Right. I had wanted to ask him about Niall's agenda.

" What's even in the latest letters?" I asked. I hadn't been briefed about their contents yet. Kellan bit his lip and frowned as if he smelled something funny.

" I'm not sure if you really want to hear these, but sure." I head papers ruffling as he bent sideways to grab something. He appeared back on the screen with a letter in plastic. He cleared his throat.

" I will lay you down on a wooden table, like the ones you'd find in a monastery. With lit candles surrounding the contours of your body, I will take off your clothes until there's nothing left but your bare skin," Kellan swallowed and pulled a disgusted face before continuing. " I finally see how well your John Thomas has been shaped. Are you more like a leprechaun, or did God bless you like a four-leaf clover would?" 

I frowned. " Are you reading a letter, or are you reciting lines from your personal book collection?" I asked with a disgusted look on my face. Kellan stared at me through the camera of his laptop. 

" My book taste is way ahead of this crap. And this isn't even the worst part. The person continues to molest his leprechaun in extreme detail, and how your client has to eat it. Oh, he's also told us he'll put him down with Flunitrazepam? Your dear friend will be fully awake when he's getting circumcised, without being able to do anything." 

Just the idea of it nauseated me. " Flunitrazepam? As in Rohypnol?" 

Kellan nodded. "The infamous date rape drug. Sounds fun right? My thoughts exactly." 

I was thinking. " How great are the chances we're talking about a female? I mean, the way of writing this and the candles around his body while losing his four-leaf clover, sounds more like something a woman would do." 

Kellan agreed. " The psychologists who read these letters thought so, too. It could also be a man who's truly insecure about his own John Thomas. But Mer, the letters are so different from each other. In some, they kill him right away and like this one, they make him suffer for ages." 

I crossed my legs under the chair. " Perhaps you could get them analyzed by a language specialist? Or maybe search for monasteries around here? I'm sure there aren't many with those old, tables." 

Kellan sighed. " That's not even such a bad idea. I mean, there's not much we can do until a new letter arrives." He leaned forward to the camera. " Please, do tell. Have you seen whether he has a leprechaun or a four-leaf clover?" A naughty grin appeared on his face.

" Jesus, Kellan. Go to Amsterdam, visit the red light district. Anything, but don't you contact me again until you've got some." With that, I ended the call and slammed the laptop shut. I took the earbuds out of my ears and threw them on the table. Frustrated, I walked into the garden and pushed my hands in my sides.

We weren't unfamiliar with cases like these, but we've never chased someone this long without gaining any information about the person. This was an unfamiliar road I really did not want to get down on.

" You alright?" A voice behind me said. I turned around.

Niall was stood behind me, holding two tall glasses in his hands. I flashed a weary smile. " Yeah, I'm fine. Your stalker is just being an annoying prick and I really hate annoying pricks." Niall handed me one of the drinks. The glass was so cold, water dripped down on my hand. My eyes wandered down his crotch, thinking back of- 

I quickly moved my eyes back to his. God, I couldn't believe Blake had done that.

" I wish I could do something." He walked back to his garden set and sat down on one of the chairs. I followed and sat down on the chair next to his.

" Unless you know this person personally, I do not recommend you to take this to the press. It could endanger the entire mission, as well as yourself." I took a sip of the drink. It was a really nice iced tea, probably from some expensive brand that matured their drinks for at least seven months, or something like that.

Niall nodded understandably. " I'd figure you'd say that. The metro police also told me this in the beginning." 

" I don't say this often, but the metro police were right." Niall grinned.

I closed my eyes to enjoy the sun for a little longer, but the content feeling I had before the video chat had slipped away entirely. 

Niall had spent his morning cleaning and tuning all his guitars. I had helped him with the first few until I figured out he just wanted to hear me play. I had made up an excuse and left for my bedroom to clean my own toys: my weapons.

I was nearly done with my last one when Niall walked in. His blue eyes grew big, like marbles.

" Don't you worry, I'm just doing some maintenance. If I had wanted to kill you, I would've done it before I started to like you." 

A smirk appeared on Niall's face as he walked in. " Can I hold it?" He asked without hesitation. My Glock was still in pieces, so I handed him the hollow gun.

" They're not as heavy as they look," Niall said as he weighed the gun on his hand.

" That's because there's no munition in it yet. That's what makes them heavy," I explained.

Niall looked at it from every angle quickly and handed it back to me. " Thanks. They look really cool, but they're not my thing." 

I smirked and took the weapon from him and put it back on the desk. With a few quick steps, I put the weapon back together in seconds.

I looked up. " What's up?" I asked when I saw Niall look at me and the unloaded gun.

" No, nothing. Nothing," He said and put a step back. I thought I saw him blush, but perhaps it was just the light.