17 » Hairspray and Stick-on Smiles

" An award show? As in long dresses, tuxedos, hairspray, and stick-on smiles?" I asked surprised. I was leaning against the cooking island. Niall was sat on the counter across from me in shorts and a polo. He held his phone in his hand. His management had called him seconds ago.

" Yes, the whole thing. Have you ever heard of the EMA's?" Niall asked.

He was kidding me, right? " Sure," I nodded, " I've heard of it." 

" They're in London this year. I have been invited to perform and I've been nominated for three awards. My management really urges me to go." A flash of worry flashed across his face, but he quickly recovered.

" I suppose that's only logical," I answered. I could only hope my voice was steady because from the inside I wanted to fry his management. Were they really that insane to risk his life for just three awards made of plastic? Did they really believe I was some Natascha Romanova and could kill by just looking at someone? I was only a human myself. With that many people, I couldn't possibly protect him.

" They told me they've arranged everything with your bosses," Niall said as all different methods of killing his management flashed through my mind. " Right," I nodded slowly and looked at Niall again.

" When will they be held?" I asked. Niall wiggled his legs. 

" Tomorrow night." 

I stared at him in full surprise. " Don't you need to rehearse for that kind of things?" I asked.

Niall nodded as he crossed his legs, " We've got rehearsals this afternoon. Besides, I and the band played the song enough to know we'll be fine," He said. 

I nodded slowly. " Okay." I looked down at my clothes, and back at Niall. He looked at puzzled as he stared back.

" What do I even have to wear?" 

A grin spread across his face. " Don't you worry about that. I've got it covered." 

" How did you do that? How do you even know my size?" 

Niall jumped off the counter as he laughed. " Are you coming? I'll be late for rehearsals. London traffic is a bitch." 

I jumped off the counter and followed him. " Are you serious?" I asked, surprised. " You're really not going to tell me- anything, are you?" 

Niall laughed, " Exactly." 

I had trouble keeping my mouth from dropping when we were backstage at the EMA's. Everywhere I looked, were the most famous people out and about, and Niall just talked to them as if he was talking to a neighbor. Someone wouldn't impress me that quick, but these things did make my fangirl heart flutter.

Niall kept on introducing me as his girlfriend to his famous friends, whom I shook hands with. I considered not washing my hands again or chop it off to sell it to the highest bidder because surely there'd be people interested in a hand that had touched the upper class of the music industry.

Niall thought it was hilarious that I was taken aback by all the celebrities walking around here. I could punch him in his face for smirking at me like that.

The soundcheck schedule was tight, and Niall and his band had to go on quite quickly after our arrival. I went to sit down on one of the chairs in front and looked at them whilst they tuned their instruments. After a few minutes, they started doing their song. It sounded really well, so I raised both my thumbs at Niall.

An arm wrapped around my shoulders. " So, you're Niall's famous mystery girlfriend?" someone with a low voice said in my ear. I was stunned, my body automatically tensing. Niall noticed the look on my face, and his eyes grew big. 

In a reflex, I grabbed the arm of the mysterious man and threw him over my shoulder, on the floor. The man landed on his back on the hard floor, the breath knocked out of him. I quickly put my feet on his chest, wanting to draw my weapon. But before I could, Niall had stopped singing.

I looked down and noticed a face I had seen before. It took me a second until I noticed it was one of Niall's old band members. Shit. 

I took my hands off the weapon hidden behind my back and lifted my foot off of him. I stared at the guy in disbelief. Niall was off the stage in a jiffy and kneeled down at his old band member. "  Liam! Liam are you alright?" 

I thought I killed him. I bent down to check his pulse. He opened his eyes with a groan, and I jumped back. Liam stared at Niall, and back at me. 

"What a lovely way of greeting someone. A bit sad everyone had to witness that." 

I dropped on my knees and sat down on the floor, shaking my head. " I'm so sorry, I-" 

Niall helped Liam sit up, and checked him from all sides. When he noticed he was alright, Niall let out a nervous laugh. " It's a bad idea to sneak up to Sadie," Niall said, who shot a quick glance at me. I could see the relief in his eyes. I could only hope mine resembled his.

" You see, Sadie has taken some self-defense classes because, in the past, she's been dealing with nasty men," Niall explained.

Liam looked at me and smirked. " I'd like you to teach me that move," He said. I got up and started laughing. " That's the least I can do for killing your masculinity in front of all these people," I said and held out my hand. " Which wasn't my intention, by the way." 

Liam took my hand, and with a swift move I helped him up. He seemed surprised by my strength. Niall wasn't, after everything he's seen me doing.

" It's okay, nice to meet you, Sadie. I'm Liam, as you may know now." I smirked and nodded. " I had a feeling that was your name. Nice to meet you too, Liam." 

Niall let out a relieved sigh and looked at the stage, where his bandmembers stared at me with slight terror. " I have to finish my song," he stated. Liam and I nodded. " Please, go! I will make sure no one will sneak up on her," Niall nodded, though he probably knew everyone who watched would not dare to touch me ever again. He walked up the stage again. " Okay, from the top guys," he said to his band.

I sat down next to Liam on one of the chairs. " Once again, I'm sorry," I said to him. He shrugged. " That's okay. It was my fault. I shouldn't have approached you from the back." 

I grinned. " That would've been the safest, yes."