15 » You're a natural

The minutes Niall was out there on that stage, were the hardest minutes I had gone through in the time I'd been protecting him. There he was, with his guitar, microphone standard and his band, completely and utterly vulnerable for any possible strike. I knew he wore a bulletproof vest underneath his clothes, but one shot at his head and it'd all be over.

I really felt like crying when he walked off the stage, unharmed and safe. I could see it in his eyes he could cry as well.

" Good job, kid," I said to him, trying to hide my relief as well as I could. Niall smiled at me, though a little uneasy.

" You reckon they noticed?" He asked as he took the guitar strap off his shoulders. I shook my head. " No, you're a natural." 

After Niall had packed his bags, I guarded him along with Mark and Ian to the car. Niall was driving again this time. " Thanks, Mark, Ian," Niall said to his guards and said his goodbyes. In the meantime, I inspected the car with a pocket mirror whilst pretending to tie my shoelaces. Thankfully, I didn't find anything. Niall and I both got into the car. I clicked my belt into its holder and waited until Niall was ready to drive. Niall started the car and drove off the O2 grounds.

 " I don't understand how you can live a life like this without drinking or using drugs with the little sleep you get," I said after a long silence.

" It can be really hard sometimes," Niall admitted. " The lack of sleep, the traveling from country to country and having to do interviews and performances of the same song over and over again, but I swore off drugs. I've seen many artists use drugs, prescripted medication and off the counter drugs like XTC and whatnot. I've never tried it, never will." 

I had to admit that it was neat he never had used drugs before. Especially after a day like this, the weaker people surely would not be able to resist a smoke or a pill.

" Have you ever used drugs before?" Niall asked. I nodded. " Yeah, once. I was at a party and someone gave me an XTC pill. A really cute pink one in the shape of the Superman sign," I smirked at the memory. " There was probably too much MDMA in it because my dad could tell I had been using. I got grounded for a month." 

Niall seemed amused. " Did you feel like Superman?" He asked. I shook my head, laughing. " No, you're kind of in this dream state where everything seems to go your way. That is until it starts to fade off. You get miserable and drowsy as if you have a five-day hangover." I shot a glance at the rearview mirror. " I will never succumb to those lower levels of hell ever again," I smirked.

I turned to Niall after a few minutes. " Is it worth it?" I asked him. Niall shot me a glance and focused back on the road ahead of us. " What do you mean?" He asked.

" All of this. Life without proper sleep, the forever fame across the entire globe... The cameras that notice your every move and tabloids that will report every misstep you took... The admiration from complete strangers and let's not forget the people who want to hurt you.." I summed. " Wouldn't you prefer to take on a more anonymous job, like a teacher or a lifeguard?" 

I had my eye back on the rearview mirror again, while Niall was thinking how to respond.

" Why are you an undercover agent? I mean, the constant threat of death, these bleak people who can't control themselves, missions that could kill you... Wouldn't you prefer taking on a safer job, like a teacher or lifeguard?" I started laughing. " Touché." 

" We both love our jobs. You make sure the world is safe while I entertain them. You put them at ease, and I let them feel at ease. I use my voice, you use your tactics, brain, and fists." I couldn't help but smile at the last bit.

" we look a lot alike, Mercer," Niall's voice spoke in the darkness. " We're more alike than you think."