24 » No kicking or screaming

I had been right about my boss. Though, I hadn't expected to receive a visit of Waterlane himself right when we came back from the hospital.

Niall and Mark had given Waterlane and me some privacy. We were sat in Niall's living room, both staring at the floor. Niall had brought us some tea, which neither of us had touched yet.

" Mercer, Mercer..." Waterlane sighed. " Where should I begin?" 

I shrugged. " I don't know, you pick."  

Waterlane looked at me for a long time. Everyone else would have crept away from his stare and begged him to stop. But, it didn't impact me.

" What do I have to do to stay here?" I asked. " It's still my mission, after all." 

Waterlane crossed his legs. " I don't know if we can talk us out of this situation. First of all, the shooter is still out there. Second, that nitwit called Blake doesn't seem to make any progress. Third, everyone now knows you carried a gun at a very prominent event. They could link you to terrorism, the drugs world or just plain crime. They might conclude you tried to kill someone at the event, no matter you were getting shot. They could even think you're the female James Bond, for all we know!" I nodded, and nodded, and nodded. 

" Niall came up with the idea of linking me to the Metropolitan Police. That I'm an agent and work for their bureau."

Waterlane put on his thinking face - one I had seen many times before. He didn't banish the idea right away, so it might have been a good sign. " Would you really put up the facade, for just a simple pop star? It's a massive downgrade to pretend you're a Metropolitan rather than a Sixer." 

I pulled up my brows. " I'd put on stinking clothes straight from the garbage if it would help my mission, so I don't care I've put on a Metropolitan Police uniform for a day," I responded. " Do you reckon we could pull it off?" 

Waterlane scratched his chin. " Maybe. But we do have to create a concrete plan because this guesswork you and Blake have been doing isn't working anymore." Waterlane said to me. I nodded - he was right. This was getting us absolutely nowhere.

" I can arrange a meeting with the head of the Metropolitan Police if he's up for it. He's one of my old friends. But, I can't promise anything, Mercer."

I nodded. " I understand. Like my dad always says, nothing ventured, nothing gained." 

That seemed good enough for Waterlane, as he leaned towards me. " That trick you pulled on that motorcycle was really sick," he whispered. " Everyone in the office is talking about it." His eyes were gleaming with pride. " And I heard your dress's a hit as well." 

I groaned and shook my head. " Of course. That's what you get when you work for a company where the male dominates the population." 

Waterlane smirked. I looked at him again. " How's my dad doing? I truly hope he didn't get a heart attack when he watched the news this morning." 

Waterlane swallowed. " He took it quite hard, especially when he learned you were unconscious in the hospital. Five men had to pin him to the floor. But, when Blake told him you were awake and made the necessary threats, he calmed down a little. I'll tell him you're okay." 

" Thank you, sir." For a boss, he was quite a soft man. 

I let him out and watched him drive off the driveway. I closed the door behind me when he was out of view. At the same time, Niall walked down the stairs.

" I didn't hear any yelling," He said, his face surprised. I leaned against the door.

Niall took a stand in front of me. I put his hand on his chest. " That's because there was no need for yelling. He thought your idea was extremely brilliant, he forgot to be angry with me," I smirked.

" So, you can stay?" Niall asked, surprise on his face. I nodded. " For the time being, yes."