28 » Day in Dover

Because Niall and I wanted to keep up our nothing's-wrong-façade, we decided to plan out a day trip. It wasn't at all easy.

Niall was driving today, towards an undetermined destination. We'd left early because we didn't know where we'd end up.

We were both extremely tense when we crossed through the London streets. The knot in my stomach seemed to loosen the further we got away from the city. I noticed the same change in posture on Niall - now singing along with a tune on the radio, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel. 

Niall and I ended up in Dover, a city known for its white cliffs, the ferry that connected Calais, France, to Dover and the endless stream of tourists.

I'd never been to Dover before and neither had Niall. I had always wanted to see the cliffs in person but never did.

The weather was great today, though I had opted for a t-shirt and a pair of trousers. I wore a bulletproof vest underneath my t-shirt and carried a gun in my purse. 

Niall parked the car on an empty parking lot and we both got out.

Dover might've been an important port town, the city itself had not much to offer, though we did manage to enjoy ourselves. We started at a small cafe in the center. The cafe was relatively empty, thankfully. We picked a table at the back.

We both wore a cap and sunglasses. Not that it did much to conceal Niall - a real fan would know at an instant it was him, as would the stalker. I truly hoped our stalker didn't live in Dover.

A woman around my mum's age took our order. I ordered a cup of tea, with a blueberry muffin, and Niall ordered a double espresso with a chocolate cake.

I looked into Niall's eyes when the woman turned around. His blue eyes were fairly neutral - I couldn't tell how he was doing. His posture revealed nothing either.

" Would you please stop doing that?" He asked quietly. I lifted a brow. " What?" I asked, not sure what he was talking about.

" Staring at me like that. Your piercing gaze makes my soul feel restless. As if you're trying to read it." 

" I didn't know I had that look," I said, leaning back in my chair.

" You do. You do it quite often, especially when you seem concerned." Niall imitated my gaze. I recognized it - I'd seen it often enough in the mirror.

Niall reached for my hand, still laying on the table. I looked at it and lifted my eyes up at Niall. Still the same look in his eyes. 

" You're doing it again," He said, his tone amused. I closed my eyes and shook my head. " I'm sorry." 

" I'm fine, Mercer." His soft voice made me open my eyes. His face was close to mine. Something flashed in his eyes - a lie.

We were interrupted by the server. Niall let go of my hand and leaned back into his chair. We thanked her for our goods and waited until she was out of hearing range. I tried Niall's coffee and chocolate cake before he could say anything else. I burned my tongue on the hot, awful coffee, and couldn't taste much of the chocolate.

I left my tea and muffin untouched and waited. The look on his face had gone tense again, as it had gone many times when I pre-tasted his food.

" You lied," I said. 

"I did not," Niall responded, trying to keep his face neutral.

" The chances of me getting killed on the spot is just as big as the chances of you not worrying. Do you know how high that percentage is? Zero point nine percent." 

Niall rolled his eyes. " I didn't lie. I am doing fine." 

I nodded. "Sure, you're fine now, alright. Will you be fine still, when we drive back to London?" My tone was sharper than I intended to. Niall didn't seem to be bothered by it.

" I suppose we'll find out then, won't we?" He asked, shrugging. His nonchalant posture was nothing more than a façade - it made me want to punch him so badly.

" I'll drive," I told him. Niall nodded softly. " Okay." 

Five minutes passed, and I slid him back his coffee and chocolate cake. " It's safe. Eat," I ordered, and started on my own tea and muffin.