32 » paralyzed

I had hung up the phone to call my superiors.

" Are you serious?" Niall asked, his voice and face both full of disbelief. I nodded slightly, as I tried to hide the blossoming fear inside me.

Instead of calling Kellan, as my boss had ordered, I went straight to my boss instead. Kellan would not be able to do anything anyway. Waterlane had so much more power than him.

" Waterlane," the man answered after a few rings. I swallowed. I'd never been this happy to hear his voice before.

" Hi Waterlane, It's Mercer speaking." My voice crumbled at the end. I cursed myself for showing my weaknesses. I had to be the strong one here, for fuck's sake.

" What's going on?" he asked urgently. I swallowed.

" Would you mind ringing our best friends of the CRE?" I stammered.

" What?" Waterlane boomed, " Why the fuck do you need the Sappers?" 

" We're in an Italian restaurant in Dover," I told him the address. "There are two pressure sensitive bombs underneath our chairs, underneath mine and under my client's. I have no idea how this happened, but they're there." 

Waterlane lost it on the other side of the line. " I will dispatch a unit. I'll be sending over some local agents to oversee the situation" he replied when he had collected himself ever so slightly.

" I appreciate it. If you don't mind, I've to hang up the phone now." 

" Don't move, Fulton. That's an order." 

" Yes sir," I replied and ended the call. I tried not to sigh too hard. Niall looked at me. 

" Waterlane will dispatch a unit," I quietly spoke. Niall nodded ever so slightly, afraid to move.

With that sorted, I decided to ring dad's office cell.

" Kenneth McCoy speaking," he spoke after the phone rang for what seemed like an eternity. " Hi dad, it's me," 

" Mercer! Love, how are you?" He asked, excited about my call. " Why are you calling? I thought Waterlane forbade you to have any contact with us." 

" He did," I spoke as I swallowed. " I've got myself in a sticky situation, dad." I suppressed a sob.

" What's that, love?" He asked calmly but urgent.

" There's a bomb underneath our chairs." I heard how he gasped for air. " He's sending the CRE. Waterlane, that is." I blinked a few times, my vision blurry.

" Mercer?" Niall demanded, his voice worried. I tried to focus my eyes on him. " Shit," I muttered when I realized what was going on. Someone spiked his drink.

The phone dropped out of my hands, on the floor. Fuck.

" Close your eyes," I ordered Niall, my mouth already getting numb. " Why?" he asked me.

" Because I have to vomit," I said as I pushed a finger up my mouth.

I vomited on the floor without trying to move in my seat. All the food I had consumed ended up on the floor, as well as the spiked drink. I kept going until nothing but bile came out.

" Was there something in-" I nodded before he could finish his sentence. My arms were getting numb now.

" Talk to me," I pushed through my lips. " Make sure I stay here." I tried to look at him, but my gaze was too blurry.

" That's the last time you ever take my drink again, Mercer Adelaide Fulton! Do you really think I want to get you killed?" He roared. " I don't want to lose you Mer, you're way too valuable to die from a spiked drink! Not just for me, but also for this fucking country! You've gone through so much in your life, and now you're just giving up because some idiot spiked my drink? I do not allow for that to happen, Mercer!" He was sobbing now. My heart ached.