09

I opened my eyes slowly, blinking once or twice as my eyes adjusted to the light.  We were still at the table at the diner.  I was only out for about a minute.

Mason had his hand on my shoulder to the right of me.  He woke me up.

"(Y//N), are you ok?" Mason asked.

"I- uh... ya... I think so."

Then, I saw Jake and his friends walking in my direction.  My heart was racing.  What're the odds that the one time I come here, they come, too?

Jaren, who was sitting in front of me, muttered, "I'll handle them, ok?  You don't need to worry."

I tried to nod, but I was frozen in fear.

I felt a hand lay gently on top of mine from under the table.  Suddenly unfrozen, I looked down to see Mason's hand.  I glanced up at him, but he was glaring at Jake.

"Well I'll be damned, is that (Y//N)?" the familiar voice snickered.  It sounded exactly the same from three years ago.  "I see you made friends.  Congrats."

"Lay off," Jaren growled.

"What?  I'm just saying hello to an old friend." Jake smirked.

"Ya, right.  You're her 'friend.'" Jaren used his fingers to make air quotes.  "Would a friend ruin the other's life by spreading rumors and causing them to lose relationships?"

"Ah, that's in the past.  We were 16, for crying out loud." He began walking around the table until he was at my left.  He leaned forward so that his face was an inch from mine.  His right hand was on the back of the chair while his left was on the edge of the table.  He smirked, and I could feel his breath burning my face.  My eyes were wide and scared, and I could feel them burning with tears.

"Back up, cunt," Mason warned from behind me.

Jake's gaze rose over my head to look at Mason.  "Oh, feisty one, aren't you?  I can't just catch up with (Y//N)?  After all, I've known her longer than any of you."

"And yet we know her better than you ever did," Mason growled defensively.

Jake's gaze moved down to where Mason and I's hands were together.  "Ohh, I see what going on here!  You're her new boyfri-," Jake was cut off as I felt Mason's hand lift off mine and swiftly move past my face in a fist.  It slammed into Jake's nose.

He fell back, holding his face with his palms.  "You fucking bitch," he growled in anger.

"Get lost, you ugly cunt.  She wants nothing to do with you," Mason retorted.

"Why not let her tell me how she feels," Jake argued.  He looked down at me, still covering his nose.

I gulped, but responded, "Leave."

"Fine," Jake grumbled with anger, but I could tell he was smirking under his hands. He looked to Mason.  "My family can sue you if you broke my nose."

"I don't give a fuck about your family.  Get lost you piece of shit," he threatened.

Jake and his friends left.  Some of the other families around were looking at us.

"I, uh, think we should go," Cam whispered to everyone.

⎨ ☆ ⎬

We had finally been checked into the hotel. I was still shaken up from the diner incident, even though it was an hour ago.

Everyone was standing in the hall next to where we had gotten off the elevator at our floor. We were deciding who sleeps in what room and with who.