3

luke laid against ashton's arm, trying his best to keep his eyes open as all four of them rode to the studio around 8 a.m. in the back of an suv.

"how's carly?"

that question was the first thing said between the exhausted boys, and it was enough to make michael wake up a little.

"she's great- uh, we've only been on three dates, but- i don't know. she's amazing." michael answered calum, a little smile on his face.

michael and calum were sitting in the backseat continuing their conversation about michael's girl as luke just tried to go to sleep.

ashton looked down at luke, and wrapped his arm around the younger boy's shoulders. he knows the relationship between michael and luke is purely physical, but he just wanted to make sure luke was alright.

luke laid his head on the older boy's shoulder, and let himself drift to sleep.

"hey mike?" ashton whispered, and calum and michael both turned to him.

"yeah?" he asked.

"how's luke? i mean- i know he's okay with you dating, but- i don't know. i just worry about him." ashton said quietly, trying to not wake luke.

"i'm trying to get him to start dating again. he's not really into the idea of it." michael said, and ashton nodded.

"you can't really blame him for not wanting to date, though. after everything he's gone through-"

"i know. i just don't want him to end up never dating anyone again, and being lonely, you know?" michael said quietly.

"yeah. yeah i know."

ashton looked down at luke and ran a hand through his soft hair, pressing a kiss to the younger boy's head.

all of them felt like they had to protect luke.