9

"where the hell is michael?" ashton groaned when he sat behind his drums.

band practice was supposed to start around 20 minutes ago, but michael hasn't shown up yet.

"i don't know. just give him a few more minutes. maybe something happened to him. do you think he's alright?" luke said without one pause.

"luke, calm down, i'm sure he's fine." calum told him, and luke shook his head.

"i don't know. he usually calls if he's gonna he late. i just- i don't know. maybe i should call h-"

"hey guys!"

they all looked up and saw michael walking in with a girl holding onto his hand. 

the other two boys gasped, and ran over to meet her but luke just stood there and stared.

she was so beautiful. she had curly brown hair almost down to her waist, and the prettiest blue eyes. her smile was so big, and michael looked at her like she was the most amazing thing on the planet.

luke quietly sat down his guitar, and left the room silently so nobody would see. he ran down a hallway, and it became harder to see as tears filled his eyes for what felt like the millionth time that week.

he turned a corner, and sat down against the wall, crying into his hands as he felt his heart shattering completely.

"luke.."

he looked up and saw ashton standing above him.

"i'm sorry. i thought nobody could see me." luke whispered.

"i didn't see you leave but when i looked up and saw you were gone, i knew something was wrong. talk to me." ashton whispered, sitting beside luke.

"i knew michael was dating carly, and it bothered me, but i didn't- i didn't care that much you know? but now that i see her, and see that she's real, it just hurts." luke whispered, laying his head on ashton's shoulder.

"i know. i know it hurts."

"the whole 'friends with benefits' thing is complete crap. i'm in love with him, ashton."  luke whispered.

"you've never told him?" ashton asked.

"of course not, and i definitely can't now." luke cried, and ashton held luke's head just like michael would.

"it's gonna be okay, luke. it's gonna be okay."

"it's just so hard because i want to go after what i want, and have michael, but he's so happy and i don't wanna be the person to ruin that, you know? i want what's best for him, even if it's not what's best for me. even if it's not what makes me happy- and i should be happy for him, and in a way i am, but i just want him so bad."

ashton picked up luke's head, and wiped his tears away.

"you're so good for him, luke. so good for him. maybe he just needs some time to realize that." ashton said, and luke sniffled.

"you really think that?"

"of course i do. you're so good for him."