Chapter Seventy: Won't Let That Happen

JARVIS didn't seem to have much success in trying to get the facility computer's attention. For whatever reason, it either didn't want to talk to him or was no longer able to. And the AI didn't want to press the matter, sure consequences might follow. "I am unable to connect with the entity controlling the computer system," he confessed as Tony forced open another elevator shaft door. The previous one was too far away from their current position and he was getting a bit impatient.

"Great," Iron Man grunted as the doors moved the way he wanted them to. "Well, they're not up so I guess we keep heading down."

Wasabi edged towards the door and looked down. For some odd reason, this shaft seemed so much deeper than any previous ones he'd encountered and he quickly pulled back, looking like he wanted to puke. "No way," he protested.

Honey gave an almost maternal sigh. "We might not have much choice," she reasoned. It would likely take too long to go out of their way to find a staircase that might not be there. "Tony can fly you down and Fred and I will follow." It would, of course, be easier if they had a rope. Or trusted the elevator. But even if it had taken them to a floor that was needed before, there was no way of knowing if that would happen again. And the fact that Tony's initial pressing of the call button hadn't resulted in much didn't help.

The mascot shrugged. "I'm game," he admitted. And part of Fred thought it might actually be fun to go swinging down like some kind of Indiana Jones figure, though he somehow doubted Honey could create a whip from her chemical purse.

"Just close your eyes," Tony instructed as he moved to grab Wasabi around the middle. They'd done it before without incident. They could do it again.

Knowing there really weren't many options, Wasabi gave in, wrapping his arms around Iron Man's neck like a man trying to escape a spider chasing him. He let out a scream as Tony stepped off over the empty shaft. Somewhere now above them, he thought he heard Honey offer a cheerful shout as she followed, with Fred right behind her.

...................................

Bruce had made a mistake. He knew it the moment he set foot in the elevator. He'd ignored the first rule of walking into enemy territory. Trust nothing. Now he was stuck in the dumb thing. It didn't want to go up or down. And nothing he did to the electronics inside the little panel did anything. In fact, he'd probably shorted the darn thing out with his antics. Tony was the tech genius, not him.

With a sigh, Banner leaned against the side of his steel cage. Well, at least he'd have the opportunity to transform into the Hulk sooner or later when the bombs went off. He still had one or two in his pack. It wasn't like he hadn't tried to off himself before. Maybe circumstances would be more thorough this time.

Something in the elevator shaft groaned and he stood up. "Hello?" he called, but didn't get an answer. The groaning, however, continued, softly at first, but growing as cables strained. For whatever reason, they no longer seemed up to their typical task.

"Crap!" Bruce uttered as he realized what was going on. The car titled to one side after a particularly loud snap. He slammed into the far side with the change in orientation of the car. If one cable had decided to snap, what was to keep another one from going? In fact, he could hear the other one straining. If it weren't for the brakes holding it, the first snap would have sent him plummeting.

Bruce tried to jump up to reach the escape hatch but the canted angle of the car wouldn't allow it. And then he heard the other cable snap, having only a moment to brace himself before slamming into the top of the car due to the laws of inertia. He could only hope it didn't have far to fall. At least the bombs he carried weren't the type to be set off by a change in pressure or a sudden impact. He hugged them to his chest anyway, trying to cradle them against the impact. This was going to hurt. A lot.