The red string of fate

Standing side by side, the temple was quiet, filled only with the chanting of the temple holy men, following the ancient Naboo ritual. Turning to face each other, their hands were bound with a red band, symbolizing their belief in the red string of fate or destiny, to be bound eternally.

When prompted to kiss, instead of the awkward and shy man she agreed to join while the Supremacy burnt and Snoke's severed body stiffened, he was reserved and polished. Dressed in all black, his tunic was trimmed with red and gold embroidery, the fabric and seams executed so perfectly that it laid smoothly against his muscular broad shoulders. The black matte metal of his saber blended against his textured thick belt. Combined with his polished boots, he looked even taller and more imposing, like a dark prince. Hanging in well manicured waves, his hair shined in the dim light like black glass, and his eyes had the composed strength and confidence expected of a true leader.

Not looking a bit nervous, he was expressionless. Squeezing her hand in his, he opened their connection sharing the singular memory of her from the island temple when they were alone, the moment he asked her to sit still so he could remember it forever. His memory was so clear and idealized, she could see the flecks of green and orange in her eyes and the ethereal glow of her skin as the sunset illuminated her skin. Feeling what he felt, she could no longer hold back the tears.

Feeling how he had wanted to touch her, but even then, was afraid that something in that connection would hurt her, that she was strong and fragile and miraculous, and his. She felt how he longed to be united as one, mind, body, and soul. She could feel the agony and aching from his depths, the lingering fragments of shame and guilt, and how she was the only thing that had ever truly mattered to him in his life.

Taking a deep breath, the truth about the light inside of him flooded through her, and it was a wave so beautiful that it felt like seeing colors her mind could never imagine and sounds that echoed through space and time from the past, present, and future. The truth, of a cracked soul of a broken boy, sobbing and giving up, and so completely unaware of his true power that he subconsciously severed a part of himself out of hope that the force would forgive him for being so weak. Casting it away as he squeezed his big brown eyes against the flowing tears, he surrendered to the pain and let the shadows of darkness engulf him.

He shared what he saw when they touched hands, the truth of that sacred piece bursting into existence as a flashing light, a pulse gaining strength and power, blooming into the beacon of hope and light that was Rey. He showed her, what he had should have shown her so long ago, that her parents did not matter, that she was perfectly made for him, that in fact, she was truly a part of him. And that like her, he needed her to join him by choice.

Hearing the collective sigh, the strange energy connecting them was felt throughout the room, and smiling, he used his free hand to lightly touch her cheek to brush away her tears. The outline of their figures could be made out from the open doors and steps, and Leia smiled as she saw spectators stretching and struggling to get a glimpse of the rare magic unfolding in front of them.

Saving what we love, she thought to herself, saving love itself. It cannot be beaten, or destroyed. It can be forgotten, hidden, buried, but it cannot die. Taking a deep breath, she looked at the floor, deep in thought, until the last words were said and the bells began to ring from the towers, signalling it was time for them to kiss.

Placing one palm against her lower back and one at the back of her neck, he looked down into her eyes, much like he did when he held out his saber and told her that he knew what he needed to do, as Snoke was so sure that he would ignite it through her tiny body. But his resolve had been for her, for the vision they had shared, and for the faith that she would join him. Bending down, his lips lightly brushed hers, and waiting until she closed her eyes, and her arms wrapped around his neck melting her body and mouth into him, he gave the signal to his mother.

Slowly, Rey could feel the room warm, and a fluttering brightness against her closed eyelids.

Grazing his face against hers and positioning his mouth next to her ear he whispered."Open your eyes, Rey."

Slowly opening her eyes, she could not stop her physical response, and the breath caught in her throat and the tears poured from her eyes. The altar was aglow with golden candlelight, hundreds of candles in the hands of nameless faces looking up at her in reverence. Continuing to flood the space with light, one after the other, they continued to share the flame that started at the altar, with every person in attendance holding a white candle in her honor. The light continued to grow and flow through the crowd, like a wave of liquid gold, out the temple doors, traveling down the steps and up the promenade.

"You are my light, the very light itself... my love, my very breath." He whispered against her ear, and kissing her softly, Rey finally felt the present as solid and clear.

Feeling the light ripple through the crowds, Leia closed her eyes, praying to the force to protect those that were now putting themselves in harms way, that at that very moment the rebel fighters, led by Poe Dameron, would be surrounding Hux's ship, Finn would give the secret order that would ripple through the first order trooper ranks, and in a matter of minutes the First Order would fall out of the hands of the evil that had for too long gripped the destiny of the galaxy. Their destinies were now in their hands, ushering in a new era, balanced, and in the grey.

Turning toward the people, Rey and Ben lowered to their knees. Two gilded crowns emerged from behind the altar, carried on red velvet pillows. Hers was delicate, encrusted with countless sparkling gems and grey crystals, his was a simple gold, round and bold. Staring forward, as if in a trance, Rey and Ben held hands, feeling the disturbances in the force and the visions of the struggle that was underway, knowing all along that this very moment was orchestrated to be a distraction.

Swinging their censors, the temple holy men surrounded them in a cloud of white fragrant smoke, the bell towers clanged and vibrated the stone surfaces. Transfixed, the people were oblivious to the military action that was taking place as they embraced the very thing that the Empire, the Order, and every other dark force movement had tried to snuff out and failed.

Love.