When he sleeps

"Ben, you cannot be overprotective. You must let the boy live and grow without suffocating him." Rey pleaded.

"Rey. Enough. Something isn't right, I can feel it." He said as he sat on the edge of the bed, his naked body illuminated by cluster of candles by the window.

"Ben, Anakin is not you....he is with us." She said sadly, reflecting on the memories of his childhood that he had shared with her.

"I did not say he was...but I can sense...something..." His mind was already pulling away from her, reaching out into the space between them and Anakin.

Sighing under her breath, her fingertips grazed his back as he quietly rose from their bed. Slipping on his long black sleeping robe, he strode across their room like he always did, with complete lack of awareness of his physical surroundings. Muscular, yet at times awkward due to his size, he lumbered across the room.

"Don't stay up all night watching him again, please. Come back to me."

"Of course." He smiled as he slowly shut the door, never breaking his gaze.

The corridors of the palace were dimly lit, casting shadows over the ancient sculptures and mosaics. Catching the air as he walked, his robe flared behind him, and from above he looked like a dark deity, with skin so white it glowed.

Entering the Nursery, he could already hear the light toddler chatter mixed with another familiar voice, a voice he had not heard in years. Cautiously, he slipped through the darkness, observing and assessing. Without his saber he would have to rely on his force powers if needed.

"Your Daddy, oh yes, your Daddy. I loved him most of all. He was the most special, the most powerful...haha...until you." The voice was soft and kind, warm, rippling out in waves.

"I love my Daddy....he can do anything!" Anakin's four year old voice was sweet and innocent.

"Yes, just like you." The voice was loving and soothing.

"Why did you leave him?" The boy asked.

"Is that what you have been told? That is a story for another time...but know this...I have always been with him. like I will always be with you."

"I love you Uncle Luke."

"Anakin, I love you. More than you will ever know. You are never alone...never. Do you believe me?"

"Yes...yes, I do." Touching his small hand to his heart, his fingers were exceptionally long and thin, like Ben's at that age. "You are right here."

"That is right. Now go to sleep. I will be right here. There is nothing to fear in the darkness, as long as you can see the light to guide you...and I will always be your light."

Watching from the corner, the blue almost fluorescent glow of the force ghost enveloped his son. Alerted by his presence, Luke's eyes met Ben's. Nodding, they addressed one another. Silently, Ben felt the wave of permission roll out of him. Smiling softly, Luke faded, as he watched Anakin pull his covers tightly around his little body.

Approaching the bed, Anakin was quickly drifting into sleep.

"Daddy?" He whispered.

"Yes, my son." He said while lovingly stroking his blonde hair away from his eyes, and sitting next to him.

"How did you get your scar?" The little boy reached up, running his fingers over Ben's face.

"That is a good question..." Ben pondered for a moment. "It doesn't matter how I got it, it matters that it reminds me everyday that no matter how broken something is, you can always mend it."

"I think it makes you look powerful!" His little voice jumped with a surge of excitement.

"Shhh....quiet down or your mother will know I am here and then she will make me go to bed." He teased. "No, Anakin, it is a reminder that I was not strong...and that I needed your mommy to teach me how to.... I guess you could say to be good."

"I love Mommy, she reminds me too." He said squeezing his eyes tightly and hugging his blankets.

"I do too, I love her like the sun loves the night."

"I do not understand?" He said with a puzzled expression.

"Someday you will, my son. Now sleep." He said, kissing the boy's forehead and tucking him in tightly. "Anakin, I will never let anything happen to you. I will always protect you..always."