we need each other

♚ ♛

SILENCE FILLED THE empty room, darkness pooled around the open doorway. When I lifted my gaze, all the decisions I could make came caving in on me.

Breathe.

I could kill him right here. Shoot him. Or I could try to pull information out of him. How he found me, where they were hiding.

Breathe.

Boots squeaking, a thunderous step, and—

The gun when flying from my hand, leaving a throbbing pain in my wrist. I yelped and dropped my knife as I moved to clutch my hand.

"No hesitation, princess."

A strong arm wound around my waist, and before I could curse Soren Calloway to hell, I was lifted into the air. "Ah!"

"That will get you killed."

Hissing and thrashing, I tried to clamp my teeth down on any flesh I could, but the entire portable flipped when he tossed me over his shoulder.

"Let go of me!" I yelled, throwing a swift kick to his chest and pounding my fists against his back. "Now!"

With a gruff laugh, he patted my ass. "I got orders, dulzura. Sorry."

Angrily, I dug my nails into his skin until he hissed. His footsteps faltered and I took another sloppy shot at kicking him in the stomach. As he grunted, his grip loosened and I slumped from his back clumsily.

My elbows skidded along the carpet as I dove forward, frantically searching for my knife or my gun or anything.

With fast fingers and a panicked gasp, my gaze skated through the dim haze. The gun sat in the doorway, helpless and too far away, and just as I caught the glint of light against a silver blade, my entire head was wrenched backward with a tug on my hair.

Pain exploded in my skull. My fingers scratched the smooth surface of my knife.

So close.

A large hand clamped down on my ankle. Blood spilled into my mouth as I tore into my bottom lip.

"He sent you," I rasped in defeat.

My nails carved into the carpet as he dragged me back, and I whimpered at the pressure that came down on my body as he lowered his lips to my ear. "You shouldn't have called."

"He must not care about you very much."

I knew he didn't. He didn't care about anyone.

Struck by my words, he stilled. I didn't hesitate.

I threw my head back, crashing against his skull at full-speed. A jolt of pain spread down my neck and my entire head throbbed, but the man had fallen away.

"No hesitation."

In that split second, I was glad I had met Soren.

Because as I shook away dizziness and claimed desperation, all the survival instincts I'd found didn't matter. Running was different from fighting.

I didn't think. I dove for my knife with nothing to lose.

A hand latched onto my arm. With a low growl, he spun me around and I whipped my fist around with the force of his own action. The blade sliced across fresh skin.

He hissed in response, his grip tightening, but I only pulled back and thrust my knife tip first into his chest. "I told him I'd kill every single one of you."