i told you it was a shoot to kill situation with me

**To everyone that is reading this story, I can't express the gratitude I have. I love that people are enjoying this story or this aspect of NYC or these characters.

♚ ♛

A STEADY DRIP OF WATER echoed in my ear. In the cramped bathroom, it seemed louder than our soft breathing.

I pressed the bandage harder against his palm. "If we're going to do this, we need a more solid plan than this, Soren."

"See, this is why I need you around, Lace."

Filled with a faint affection, the nickname fluttered between us to seal the unspoken partnership. My heart thumped painfully against my ribcage in some twisted desire to reach him. And when my gaze flicked up to meet his in the white light of the bathroom, my knees buckled.

That faded shade of green darkened on impact; a lustful shadow swallowed the flecks of gold. Speechless, I fumbled away from the dangerous color palette to take in the faded bruise and the remnants of dried blood on his cheek.

"For the sake of your reckless plans?" I finally breathed, grabbing another roll of gauze from the first-aid kit. "Or to bandage your battle wounds?"

Soren chuckled. "I'm starting to think both."

"It's dangerous, Soren." It scared me how much I was starting to worry about his safety. "Not just for you, but for me too."

Only the steady drip of water from the sink filled the room. Soren knew I was right. The silence answered for him.

With a heavy sigh, I wrapped his other palm. "Weren't you the one who said we needed to be stealthier? Strategic?" Soren still said nothing. All he did was wince when I tightened the gauze around his hand. "We need to think of more, Soren. Now that we're working together."

A sharp hiss tore my attention from his rough fingers. "It's not that easy, Lacey. I've been working alone for a really long time."

The bitter edge in his words cut deep. "I know."

Another silence reigned. I licked my lips, squirming under his hot stare. Soren wouldn't look away, and the simmering shade of green somehow held me captive. I couldn't fucking think straight when he was this close.

Breathe.

I couldn't think at all.

In all reality, I was grasping. Soren had been my lifeline for the week, and I was starting to think we'd be better off without each other, but without each other, would we ever get out of this?

I'd put all my hope into Soren Calloway. I'd told myself that we could do this together.

"Maybe you'd be better off alone," I admitted softly, the words falling flat with defeat. "I put an even bigger target on you. I could get you killed."

His other hand flipped to grab my arm. "No, princess, you don't get to run anymore. You're not running from him, and you're definitely not running from me."

Breathe.

I blinked, taken aback by the grit in his voice. As I pushed his hand away, I twisted the scratchy material to avoid the emotions in his eyes. "You don't get to decide that, Soren."

Resilient as fuck, Soren reached for me again. Brushing a hand along my cheek, sliding his fingers beneath my chin to tilt my head up, the man in front of me stole my breath. A deadly determination shone in his green eyes; an incoming storm that I would never escape. "I'm not letting you go anywhere. It's us now."