you have no idea what just hit you

**UPDATE 12/31/21: I remember... a lot of people really really really loved this chapter when I first posted it, and tbh, it shaped the entire story going forward—what it was about, who it was really for, and why it was being written. It's also such a turning point for Adrian and Lacey, my GOD I ENDED UP LOVING THEM 😭😭😭

i'm not crying y'all are... sorry i'm feeling nostalgic lately, probably because of new years?  BESOS MARATHON COMING UP  ❤️❤️❤️

♚ ♛

A LOW, SUBTLE BUZZ echoed between my ears harshly. It was dizzying and... exhilarating.

"You don't have to prove shit, Lace. Not to them, not to me," Soren mumbled in my ear, pressing his fingers against my bare shoulders. "I know you've got my back. And I don't give a fuck about them."

I wanted to do it. Not only did I want to do it to piss off Seth, but I wanted to be a part of this. A real part of this.

Not his princess. A Queen.

"How long until he finds out about this?"

I didn't even have to specify. He knew exactly who I was talking about.

Soren sucked in a sharp breath, trailing his hands down my back to the top of the chair. When he dove lower, his lips grazed my ear. "Not long. But we need to lay low for a few days." I nodded frantically, swallowing as the buzz rose to a level that made me wince. "We've got a new apartment to christen."

"An apartment?" I craned my neck to look at him, barely catching his lips with mine.

Soren dipped to finish the action, giving me a long, deep kiss. "Mmm. A safe house. Just for you and me," he murmured, pulling away to tuck my hair behind my ear. Those green eyes twinkled with a strange combination of lust and admiration, making my breath catch. "And I'm going to need to take you on every surface in it."

My tongue darted out to wet my dry lips, but I ignored the shiver that statement elicited. "Where is it? In Brooklyn?"

". Bushwick. As soon as we're done here, I'll bring you there." He reached over to rub at the skin on my wrist tenderly. "You're sure you don't want it somewhere you can hide it?"

"I want it somewhere visible, Soren. I'm done running and hiding and hesitating. I'm done."

His lips quirked up into a proud smile. "So fucking good, Lacey. You are going to be so good."

"¿Qué pasa?" A soft slur drifted through the door. "¿Está aquí?"

Soren stood, but didn't let go of my hand. Instead, he linked our fingers together before he called, "Sí. Está aquí."

Adrian pushed through the dark doorway and shot me a loose grin. A woman followed right behind him, bringing the sound of music from the other room when they left the door ajar. "This is her."

The first thing I noticed was the black and gold beads around her neck that swayed with each swift step. Her dark eyes appraised me carefully and then she tugged her lip between her teeth, musing, "Mmmm. This is her."

Soren hissed lowly behind me, but Adrian only chuckled. "Don't get your panties in a twist, O. Camila knows that cariño plays for the other team."

Camila. It was a gorgeous name. Just like her. With dark ink decorating her tan skin, looping into intricate patterns from her wrists to her shoulders, she was enveloped into some sinister, sensual package that made me squeeze Soren's hand tighter. How could I possibly compete with women like this?