Chapter-10

Zach and Gray had finished viewing the Carnotaurus and decided to check out another exhibit. They had arrived at a big seating arena in front of the lagoon and took a seat in the fourth. Nothing happened for about two minutes until a lady with black hair stepped onto a small platform in front of the huge crowd. She had a small headphone set on her head so everyone could her.

"Hello everyone, my name is Alana and welcome to the Mosasaurus feeding show." she said. "The Mosasaurus was a large predator that was thought to have hunted near the surface of the water... where it preyed on anything it could sink its teeth into. Including turtles, large fish, even smaller Mosasaurs."

The lady pressed a button and a dead twenty-foot Great White Shark came rolling down a strong line. The Shark dangled from the line lifelessly as it came to a stop thirty feet above the water.

"Okay, folks, let's see if she's still hungry after already eating today." said the lady. "She's a little shy, so be nice and give her a hand when she comes out."

Gray looked over at Zach and saw he was texting one of his friends. Gray tapped on his shoulder trying to get his attention.

"Zach! The Mosasaurus!" he said.

At last Zach looked up.

"Zach look!" said Gray.

"I'm loo-"

But before Zach could finish a massive Crocodile looking creature jumped out of the water and snapped its 12 foot jaws on the Shark. The animal was about seventy or eighty feet long and had flippers to help it swim. It was none other than the Mosasaurus. The Mosasaur snapped the rope holding the Shark up and made a huge splash as it dove back into the water. The splash was so big that it splashed over half of the audience watching, including Zach and Gray. Everyone who was hit by the splash were now soaking wet. People began to clap and cheer.

"Oh, my God! That was awesome!" said Gray clapping.

Zach just spat out water in his mouth and smiled at Gray.

"Hold on everybody the shows not over yet!" said the lady.

Suddenly all of the seats began to sink into the ground.

"Hold on tight. We're gonna give you an even closer look at our Mosasaurus." she finished.

As the seating arena descended into the ground a glass wall in-front of the arena became more and more visible. At last the arena stopped descending downward and in front of everyone was a large fish tank with a Mosasaurus swimming inside of it. A piece of the Shark's tail was slowly sinking to the bottom of the lagoon, but before it hit the bottom the Mosasaur swam back around and grabbed the fish's tail with its massive jaws before swallowing it whole. People stood up and cheered.

"That.... was.... awesome!" said Zach.

Meanwhile in the restricted area of the island, Claire, Owen, and Grant had arrived at the Indominus paddock.

"The park needs a new attraction every few years... in order to reinvigorate the public's interest." said Claire as the three walked over to the paddock. "Corporate felt genetic modification would up the wow factor."

"But they're dinosaurs." said Grant. "Shouldn't that impress the world enough? Hell I never even believed that this park even had real dinosaurs till today. When I did see they were real I was amazed as hell."

"That's our problem though." said Claire. "People like you who haven't been here before are still easily impressed with our animals. But those people are very rare these days and everybody else has already seen all our dinosaurs and they're getting bored of seeing the same ones."

"So why didn't you just breed a real dinosaur you haven't bred all ready?" asked Grant.

"He has a point Claire." said Owen. "We still haven't bred Allosaurus. They could have brought up our reputation."

"True, but they're not as big and scary as something like a T. Rex." said Claire. "People would only be interested for a year or two and attendance would get bored again."

"Still better than nothing." said Grant.

The three of them had approached the stairs that led to the viewing paddock.

"True, but the Indominus Rex is bigger, stronger, smarter, and faster than both our T. Rex and Spinosaurus. And most importantly, will hype up attendance more than any dinosaur we've ever breed."

Owen and Grant chuckled upon hearing the new dinosaur's name.

"Not with a name like that." said Owen.

"We needed something scary and easy to pronounce." said Claire. "You should hear a four year old try to say something like Giganoto-ornithomimus."

"You should hear you're self try to say it." said Owen.

The three of reached the top of the stairs and walked inside the viewing paddock.

"Can we drop a steer, please?" said Claire.

A man wearing a blue hard-hat in the same room pressed a button at a control panel; they all looked into the pen as a large chunk of meat from a cow was lowered down by a crane.

"How long has the Indominus been in here?" asked Grant.

"All its life." replied Claire.

Never seen anything outside of these walls?" said Owen.

"Well we can't really walk it like a dog." said Claire.

"And you feed it with that?" said Owen.

Claire was starting to get a little annoyed.

"Is there a problem?" she said.

"Animals raised in isolation aren't always the most functional." said Owen.

"Your Raptors are born in captivity." said Claire.

"Yes, but they have siblings." said Grant. "They've probably learned social skills."

"He's right." said Owen. "Plus I imprint on them when they're born. There's trust. The only positive relationship
this animal has is with that crane. At least she knows that means food."

"So, she needs a friend. We should schedule play-dates? That sort of thing?" said Claire.

"Probably not a good idea." said Grant. "Large carnivores are very territorial; they hate it when other large animals intrude in their homes."

"Well said." said Owen.

Claire just rolled her eyes. But then she began to feel a little impatient, the attraction she wanted to show Grant and Owen had not come out yet. She tapped the glass to get its attention, but nothing happened.

"Where is it?" she wondered.

"Is it in the basement?" asked Owen. "Is there a downstairs?"

"Maybe it's in the rec room." joked Grant.

"It was just here. We were just here." said Claire.

Claire was starting to get worried. She walked over to the man at the control panel and pressed a few buttons hoping to get answers. The buttons activated security cameras and details began to appear on the camera screens.

The paddock cameras were a kind of camera called thermal cameras. Animals have body temperatures that are usually hotter than the environment around them. If an animal gets close to a thermal camera, the camera picks up its heat signature to let people know that an animal is in the area. If an animal isn't in the area, the cameras won't pick up any heat signatures and won't sense any living creature.

All the thermal camera screens said that no heat change in the environment was detected. This meant the cameras couldn't detect Indominus. As this was going on Grant had noticed something on the walls nearby the main paddock gate.

"Oh shit." he said.

"They're not sensing her." said Owen.

He was also looking at what the cameras found.

"But it doesn't make sense." said the man with the blue hard-hat. "These doors haven't been opened in weeks."

"So if it didn't use the gates, then how-" before Owen could finish, Grant interrupted them.

"Uh..... Claire?" he said.

Everyone turned around and looked a Grant.

"Were those claw marks always there?" he asked pointing at a wall.

Claire walked halfway over to him and then stopped.

"Do you think it...?" Claire paused.

Now she felt terrified.

"Oh god." she said.