OD!Matt x OD!Reader

Look! I'm not dead! And here is the one-shot for second place in the cover contest, XxChloe_The_NekoxX! It may not be the fluffiest thing I've ever wrote, but I don't think it ended to horribly. I hope you enjoy!

"Ugh!" You screamed into your pillow with rage. You couldn't believe that it happened again. The first time, you brushed it off as a small bought of unluckiness. Second time was questionable, but still brushed off as an unlucky coincidence. Third time you decided that you were destined for failure at this one task.

Despite the decision, you continued trying. Mainly because it was fun. It always ended differently, some trys hurt more than others, but the thrill of trying and wondering about the outcome outweighed the fear of the pain. Every attempt seems so bright and promising in the beginning. But every attempt ended at some point at the bottom of a dark ocean that contained only failure.

You were used to being unlucky, that was the trait you were known for. Favorite cereal intruded by mice the cat didn't get. Caught drinking your roommate's last smoothie. Shatter a mirror. Anything unlucky.

But now, it had became a game. How long before the crash and burn? What good things would happen before your luck ran dry again? How many good things before the first crack? It was a thrilling game you played, despite it always ending in disaster. At this point, you decided that there was no happy or lucky ending in this game of yours. But heck if you don't try.

Back to matters at hand though, you just went through one of the worst bad endings in your game. Another player in your game cheated and took almost all your pieces while you weren't looking. You knew better than to turn your back, but you grew confident enough to believe you finally figured out how to win. And look where the newfound cockiness got you.

You thought you were alone when you stormed in, but a couple of sharp knocks at your door proved you wrong and tore you from your thoughts. You sat up on your bed, a pissed off look still on your face because of this new loss.

"Who is it?" You asked sharply. A small, familiar chuckled sounded from the other side. You sighed and got up, instantly knowing it was your protective and self-conscious roommate, Matt. You opened the door to an emotionless looking Matt. You stepped to the side and gestured for him to enter. He walked in and plopped down as you closed the door again before flopping down next to him, face down in your pillow again.

Silence lasted for about a minute before Matt spoke up. "Did it happen, again?" The only response he got was a loud groan. "That bad, huh?" You flipped over to face him with a 'no shit Sherlock' expression.

"Then I guess I won't ask how it happened this time." More silence. He was good at not talking. And you could care less. He was the one who would understand the most, even though he's only played the game a couple times, even if he never played it with you.

The silence was broken by something you never thought he would say though.

"I know you don't go right back into it after it falls apart," he started. That was right. Once you lost a round of the game, you took some time to recover from the loss before making another attempt. About a month normally. "But, can we give it a shot?" You sat up in shock.

Matt wanted to play the game with you? You looked him over for any sign of joking, but there was none. He truly wanted to take a shot at playing with you. A small smile graced your lips.

"You sure you want to do that? I'm just misfortune waiting to explode. This will be disaster like every other time." You stared him right in the eyes, almost like you were daring him to continue. He just stared right back at you, challenging your dare.

"You don't know that. I want to, and I know you do to. Don't deny this, (y/n). You want to give this a shot just as much as I want to." He looked completely serious as he said all of this. A smile danced on your lips. Fine, if he wanted to play, then challenge accepted.

He pulled you into his lap at the smile, taking it as a yes. You leaned back into his chest and stared forwards into space. The last player may have assisted a different player they weren't supposed to and stole some heart tokens, but you didn't see that ending of the game with Matt. It may end in disaster as you've never played with a friend, but it was worth a shot. But in the game of love, anything was possible.

"Alright, Matt. Your move."