Chapter 21 - The First Defrost of Winter

Jack POV

I intake a sharp breath of cold air.

Home sweet home. If I dare say... a home more than home.

Since our team is ranked #2 in the country a lot of the school's money gets put into the hockey program so our hockey rinks are in better condition than others. We got it all : large stands, a colossal ice rink with our school's logo in the middle, an electric score board, a concession food stand, and flat screen televisions to broadcast all our games. We're a pretty big deal. Don't believe me? Well we have a glass case of trophies just to prove it. It's almost insulting that my "girlfriend" had no idea.

Speaking of her. I thought she was kidding when she meant that she has never been here before, but the fact that she twisted her head 360 degrees like an owl convinced me. Her blue eyes glowed like a kid in a candy store.

I inwardly chuckled. Reminds me of the first time walking through those doors. Rarely I would ever see her eyes like that, she never looked my way like that. They're always cold and disgusted like I got some contagious disease or something.

The platinum blonde subconsciously started to rub the sides of her arms through her thin sleeves. I took my old brown button-up jacket and caped it over her shoulders. "Cold?" I mocked near her ear and pulled her small frame closer me.

She leaned her head back to create some distance and with genuine eyes stared at me, "I told you the cold doesn't bother me."

This girl.

"Is that supposed to be your catch phrase?" I rolled my eyes. It seems she has a convinced herself that's she's immune to anything chilly, freezing, and frosty.
"You may be cold-hearted but that doesn't mean the rest of your body should be cold." I took it onto my own hands to button the buttons securely.

After I was done, I felt her glare burn onto my back. "I could've done that by myself."

"You wouldn't have done it if I just told you to." I fished out two pairs of skates, and raised up the smaller ones, "Try these on."

She grabbed them by laces and took a seat on a bench nearby, "Which one of those sorry girls left these behind?"

"They're actually my old ones from middle school." I corrected her and almost chuckled at the expression that dawned on her face at the realization of her false accusation.

"Sorry, that was uncalled for." She apologized, obviously struggling to tie her ice skates, "I promised not to judge you as a player and I did."

Already finished putting my shoes on, I went back to help her again. I flashed a smile, "No worries." I was able to fix one of the skates with ease. It's practically muscle memory by now. "When's the last time you ice-skated?"

She paused to think, enough time for me to finish the other shoe, "It's been a while."

"Aw Els that's okay. You want me to get one of those chairs the kiddies use for you to hold on to?" I naturally smirked at the thought.

The girl's face was priceless. "I'd rather fall on my face."

Ice skating isn't easy to learn. It takes a while. I can say from personal experience. So watching Elsa slip and almost break her neck—if it weren't for me that was conveniently right behind to catch her because let's face it, it was bound to happen—brought me back to when my Dad used to bring me to the frozen lake for my first lessons. When I did in fact fall on my neck but no one was there to catch me. And when she brushed me off without a thanks reminded me brushing off my Dad because we both didn't like receiving any help. That's where I learned how to play hockey too. Back in the day, a bunch of kids used to play there all the time. I was basically undefeated, of course, well if it wasn't for....