Chapter 1: We Meet Again

Claire let out an exasperated sigh as she steered her car onto the dusty, worn road through the forest. Of all the people that Simon Masrani had asked her to fetch, it had to be him. Mr. I'm-so-damn-charming-that-no-one-can-resist-me. Owen Grady. And despite her annoyance, Claire felt her heart flutter nervously when she grumbled his name.

She sighed and shook her head, unconsciously gripping the steering wheel tighter. Pull yourself together, Claire. Why are you so nervous? It's just Owen, the caveman recluse who lives in a trailer, the guy with whom you had that horrible date where you completely embarrassed yourself. Oh, God. 

As the trees gradually thinned out, Claire was able to see a large clearing beside the lake. She grimaced when her eyes fell upon a rusty bungalow with dirty windows and a makeshift porch. Why does he still choose to live here when he's been offered his own apartment multiple times?

Claire stopped the car under a tree and turned the engine off. She took a deep breath, smoothing back her hair and straightening out her blouse. She was usually a collected person, someone who knew exactly what to say and what to do. The park needed someone like that as Senior Assets Manager. But there was something about this man that made all her calm unravel like a spool of string rolling off the table. All you're going to do is get him to check the paddock and then you don't have to see him again. She sighed.

Claire opened the door and stepped delicately onto the overgrown grass. She didn't see Owen outside his "house" doing his usual caveman activities- fixing his stupid motorcycle or hammering on his stupid porch, so she assumed that he was inside. Carefully, she picked her way up the creaky porch, her high heels wobbling.

She knocked on the door after a moment of hesitation and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. Silence. She knocked again, this time harder and more insistent. He really should install a door bell! Claire sighed and turned around to face the lake. The last thing she needed was to be late because of this man.

Suddenly, the door swung open. Claire jumped and spun around sharply. She willed the immediate spread of redness around her cheeks to fade as she stood taller in an attempt to mask her surprise. She drew in a sharp intake of breath.

"Mr. Grady, I need you to come with me to take a look at something," she said coldly, looking Owen in the eye. Owen stared back and stepped closer.

"Is this how you normally greet people?" he asked slowly with raised eyebrows.

Claire sighed and rolled her eyes. "Good morning, Mr. Grady. Anyway, we-" she began. Owen cut her off.

"Why are you calling me Mr. Grady?"

"Fine. Good morning, Owen. And as I was saying before you so rudely interrupted me-"

"It's afternoon," Owen blurted. Claire sucked in a cold breath, glancing at the sky for a moment. Damn it. She reddened and clenched her jaw, the tension building up inside and threatening to explode.

"We need you for something," Claire snapped. Screw greetings. God, couldn't he shut up for once?

Owen shrugged and replied, "Well, I'm pretty busy at the moment." He closed the door behind him and sauntered down the porch toward his toolbox with another hidden smirk.

Claire shook her head. "Whatever you're doing now can wait. This is more important." She made her way carefully down the creaky porch in her three and a half inch pumps.

When Owen didn't answer and simply began to sort through his multiple tools, Claire sighed and approached him. "Owen, as head velociraptor trainer, you are a member of the staff and your presence is requested and required by Mr. Masrani."