Chapter 11: For You

The gyrosphere lay in ruins under the trees. The glass had been shattered in several different areas, and the in-sphere monitor was broken with the video of Jimmy Fallon replaying over and over. Much to Claire's horror, there was no sign of the boys.

Before Owen could bring the Jeep to a stop, she had already flung the door open and jumped out. Owen hurriedly followed her toward the gyrosphere, gripping his rifle tightly. Claire gingerly touched the smashed glass with her trembling fingers before noticing something on the dirt. Oh, God. It's Zach's phone.

She collapsed to her knees and picked up the cracked phone. "No, no, no," she gasped. Her greatest fear had been confirmed. She dropped the phone and clutched her blouse in her hands as she bent down and let the tears rain down onto the dirt.

They were gone. Gone like the Apatasaurus, the ACU men, the two workers. Her nephews were gone and it was because of her.

What kind of aunt leaves her nephews with a stranger? What kind of aunt prioritizes Verizon Wireless investors over her own nephews? What kind of aunt doesn't even know her nephews' damn ages? What kind of aunt has to explain her nephews' deaths to their parents? God, what kind of aunt am I? I'm not even an aunt anymore. What kind of person am I? 

Owen sank to the ground beside Claire and pulled her up from the ground. "Claire!" he said, gently shaking her shoulders. He had caught sight of something important that she had completely missed in her panic.

Two sets of footprints led out of the forest from the gyrosphere, and they most probably belonged to her nephews. But Claire couldn't hear his voice, couldn't feel his arms holding her. She felt like she was falling into a never ending pit of desolation where darkness prevailed.

"Claire!" Owen shook her harder. She refused to look at him as she attempted to shove him away.

"Stop!"

Owen placed his hands over her mouth to stop her from screaming in case the Indominus was still nearby. She struggled against his strong grip, her cries muffled. I'm not even human... I'm not even human...

"They're alive!" Owen half-shouted, his tone more aggressive than he meant it to sound. But he needed to calm her down before she ended up hurting herself or drawing unwanted attention.

As if someone had hauled her out of that unending pit, Claire's eyes snapped open and she ceased to fight.

"They're alive?" she gasped, her mind almost unable to process what he said. Owen's tensed muscles instantly relaxed when she lay limp in his arms.

"They made it out," he explained. He gestured to the footprints. Claire followed his gaze and sighed in immense relief, unable to hold back more tears.

Oh, my God. My nephews are still alive! I'm still an aunt. I'm still their aunt. She sobbed silently and buried her face in her hands, her shoulders shaking as she heaved great gasps. They're alive!

Owen kept his arms around her waist and let her sob into his chest. His heart ached to see her like this.

Claire wiped her eyes and could feel her cheeks burning. She didn't meet Owen's gaze out of shame. God, all I do in front of him is cry. No wonder I've been able to stay single all my life!

She lifted her face from his chest and, not knowing what else to do, whispered remorsefully, "I'm sorry, Owen."

He was appalled. Why is she apologizing to me?