Chapter 35: Your Boyfriend

"When's Mom coming? When will she be here?" Gray asked enthusiastically.

"She said she'll be here in about ten minutes," Claire replied. She tried to keep her tone light and happy though she was secretly nervous to see her sister in person for the first time in several years. What will she think of me? Will she see me as some inhuman robot... or as a dedicated aunt who sacrificed everything for the sake of her nephews?

Owen seemed to sense her internal battle and he reached under the blanket to rest his hand against the cold skin of her upper thigh. She flinched at his warm touch before immediately letting out a shuddering sigh and relaxing her leg. Sneaking a quick look at Zach and Gray, Claire inched closer to Owen with an unavoidable longing for him, to be with him. For once in her life, she admitted to herself her desperate need for someone else.

Owen kissed her forehead gently and she closed her eyes. "You're worried about seeing your sister, aren't you?"

Claire nodded ashamedly, partially appalled at his ability to read her mind so well. "Yes, I am. How do you always know?"

"Well, I always know the mind of my current girl, don't I?"

Claire's eyes flew open. "'Your current girl?' What does that mean? You'll get rid of me in a month?" What is he implying?

Owen, who actually found her alarm very endearing, simply rolled his eyes. "Fine. Would you like it better if you became 'my former girl?'"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm just messin' with you, Claire. Loosen up, would you? It's just a joke."

"It better just be." The words shot out of Claire's mouth before she could stop them.

Owen smirked and didn't reply, leaning down to rest his cheek on the top of her head. He felt her squirm against him when his hand snaked hungrily to the inside of her thigh. Never had he been so thankful for the blanket that prevented the outside world from seeing his affectionate and slightly immature fondling. I would be more thankful if this stupid crowded building suddenly became a vacant bedroom, though...

A comfortable silence fell upon them. Owen's hands lulled Claire almost to the point of sleep once again. She half closed her eyes, not wanting to cloud her mind with stressful thoughts about the park or about facing her sister. She wanted to focus solely on this man, this wonderful man.

"Mom! Mom! It's Mom!"

Gray's screams caused everyone around him to jump, to whip their heads in the direction that the young boy was pointing, to stare at a rapidly approaching couple. Karen and her husband Scott were making their way frantically toward their kids. Zach and Gray leaped from their seats and dashed down rows of injured visitors to meet their parents. Instinctively, Claire rose unsteadily to her feet with a silent wince when her ankles nearly buckled. She felt Owen stand directly behind her to allow her to lean against him.

Watching Karen wrap Gray in a tearfully sentimental hug melted Claire's heart. Seeing the "cool" Zach embrace his father tightly triggered a wave of tears in her eyes. At the end of the day, her nephews still had their family intact. They still had each other to hold onto. They were still together.

Suddenly, Karen broke away from her sons and her frantic eyes met Claire's. She let out a gasp and rushed over to her with open arms and streaming eyes. Claire didn't know what came upon her, but her feelings of doubt instantly faded away when she saw her sister running toward her. Oh, Karen...

"My God, Claire! Claire!" Karen shrieked. She threw her arms around her sister and pulled her close, not at all minding the stench of sweat radiating off of her.