Chapter 9: Not at All

Claire climbed into the passenger seat of the park-issued Jeep while Owen settled into the driver's seat. She was still incredibly relieved that he had agreed to help her find her nephews.

Why would he do that for me? She dismissed her wandering thoughts because, in the midst of everything going on, the last thing she needed to do was obsess over her "relationship" with Owen. Pushing those thoughts aside, she decided to worry more about her nephews.

"Any idea where they are now?" Owen asked as he started the Jeep. Claire shook her head.

"All we know is that they're somewhere in the valley. If you spot a gyrosphere wandering around, it's probably them." She tried not to sound as frazzled as she really was.

Owen, however, could see right through her attempts to sound less worried. "Don't worry. We'll find them, right?" he assured her. The engine roared to life and the Jeep rolled out of the garage and onto the dirt road.

Looking out her window, Claire sighed. Owen waited for the reply that never came. There was a silence before he turned to see her resting her forehead on the window.

"Claire, don't worry. We'll find your nephews," he soothed. Claire nodded, but secretly, something else was bothering her. The guilt was almost unbearable, its horrid taste almost making her want to vomit.

"Something's on your mind. I can tell. You can't hide anything from me," Owen said insistently. Claire met his eyes, and the shame was clearly burning in hers.

"I'm just thinking about... how I haven't really seen my nephews... I don't really keep in touch. And the one time that they're left with me..." Claire trailed off. She had never been that great at expressing her feelings, especially to him. Great. He probably thinks I'm some recluse or whatever. Funny thing is, isn't that what I've been seeing him as? A recluse?

"Hey, we'll find them. And then you can get to know them and they'll see what a badass aunt they have," Owen said. Claire smiled despite herself.

"'Badass aunt?'" she questioned with raised eyebrows.

"Hell yeah! I mean, c'mon, you run this whole freakin' island, don't you? Show them around. I bet they'll love it," Owen replied with a shrug. Claire nodded along thoughtfully. He's brighter than I thought.

"Not a bad idea, Grady."

Owen chuckled. "I'm always full of good ideas, Dearing."

"Uh-huh. Like what?" Claire was so eager to divert her attention from the Indominus and her missing nephews that she did not notice Owen calling her by her last name.

"You'll just have to wait and see because I'm also full of surprises," Owen teased.

"Well, I don't like surprises. So save them for someone else."

"Aw, Claire. But what about the ones that I've saved especially for the temperamental redhead sitting beside me?"

Claire gasped and slapped his arm. "The 'temperamental redhead' wants to let you know that she does not care for any surprises whatsoever." She rested her hand on his arm unconsciously.

"Well, you go and tell that 'temperamental redhead' that she won't be disappointed with my surprises because this man here knows exactly how to satisfy women," Owen said with a smug smirk. Claire's eyes widened visibly at his innocently dirty comment.

"Excuse me?"

Owen shrugged indifferently. "You heard me."

Claire blushed and looked at her shoes for a second. There was a comfortable silence that fell. Owen glanced quickly at the hand that was tenderly gripping his arm and he smiled. She likes me, doesn't she? God, she likes me. Noticing where his eyes were roaming, Claire smirked.

"Problem, Mr. Grady?" she asked coyly.

Owen grinned. "Not at all, ma'am."
_____________________________

Thanks for reading and please leave me a vote and some comments!