Chapter 22: For the Bedroom

When the Jeep arrived at the raptor paddock, the sun had already descended under the horizon line. But tonight, the stars did not twinkle in the dark sky, and the moon was cloaked with thick clouds. The walls of the enclosure were faintly outlined in the darkness, announcing their presence furtively. Shouts of men could be heard from a distance; something major was obviously happening.

Owen steered the Jeep through a deep puddle, hitting the brakes sharply so that the tires skidded through the water. His hands immediately flew to his buckle as he turned around to face Claire's nephews.

"Stay in the car," he instructed Zach and Gray. Both brothers could clearly hear the seriousness in Owen's tone. He meant what he said, and he expected their cooperation. They nodded quickly.

Owen slammed open the driver's door and stormed out, his boots disrupting the water on the ground. He didn't bother to close the door in his anger. Claire followed him with just as much determination. She dug her nails into the palms of her hand.

One of the men bustling around the paddock caught sight of them and made his way toward them with a sense of arrogant triumph. He chuckled, shaking his head, oblivious to Owen's intense fury.

"The mother hen has finally arrived-"

Owen delivered a solid punch to shut the bastard up. His fist connected with Hoskins's jaw and sent him stumbling backwards in shock and pain.

"Stay the hell away from my animals!" Owen snarled.

Hoskins rubbed his sore jaw and eyed the raptor trainer. This time, he approached more cautiously.

"Hoskins, you wanted this to happen, you bastard! You wanted this to happen!" Claire half yelled. She stood beside Owen. Even though she was in three and a half inch pumps, she was still noticeably shorter than Hoskins. Still, this did not deter her.

"God, what does it take for you fools to understand this mission? How many more innocent victims need to die before you finally open your eyes?" Hoskins snapped.

"We already understand your mission, dumbass. It's a suicide mission, just as simple as that." Owen glowered at him, rage tumbling out of his mouth.

"You don't even know what we've got planned, so don't pretend that you do," Hoskins sneered.

"Your plan is as damned as you are. You will not be sending my animals out there. They've never been outside of this enclosure," Owen said, his tone dangerously low. Hoskins, however, ignored him and continued to speak.

"Tomorrow, there will be a new story, a story of how you saved lives," he proclaimed with a conniving smirk. "Or, better yet, how your animals saved lives. Think of the endless praise showering upon us. Imagine the public worshipping us as heroes. Think of the adoration and of the love we would receive, and all because of me. Now, there's need to thank me-"

Claire had been fuming since the minute Hoskins opened that pompous mouth of his. But when she heard his last line, she was unable to keep her temper in line.

"Hoskins, you are nothing more than an imbecile retard and a manipulative liar! You are so dense that when you go to have your brain scanned for obvious problems, the doctors are unable to find it through that thick head of yours. Maybe if they scan your ass, they'll have more success. And how dare you speak of love? You couldn't recognize love even if it slapped you in the face and introduced itself!"

Owen's eyes widened visibly at Claire's insult. He didn't even bother to hide his smug grin. A part of him gloated to know that, in a way, this badass woman was his.

Claire's insult hit Hoskins exactly where she aimed it. His pride had never suffered such a strong blow, and he could feel it crumbling within him. With Claire glaring at him victoriously and Owen smirking like there was no tomorrow, Hoskins's temper blasted completely out of control.