Chapter 32: Gone

The Indominus roared in agony as the T-Rex plunged her teeth into her neck. The impact was nearly enough to unbalance the dinosaurs for one brief yet perilous second. Both dinosaurs were drenched in blood, which cascaded down their heavily armored bodies like red streams. However, the fight was nowhere close to being over. The two dinosaurs had the same mission- to be the last one standing.

In one of the few intact souvenir shops, Zach and Gray watched the entire scene with wide eyes. They were tucked behind Claire and Owen and sat under a rack of tourist shirts, though their position barely increased their safety. The boys held onto one another in complete terror. In front of them, Owen ministered to Claire's injured foot. For some alarming reason, pain was beginning to sprout in the other parts of her leg.

As immature boys, Zach and Gray were unable to see the endearing affection, the love, that Owen showed their aunt. He was massaging her ankle tenderly, whispering in her ear about random topics. Claire leaned heavily against his chest and his soft rambling helped to relax her. Her breathing quickened slightly when she felt his fingers wiping her sweaty forehead. It had always amazed her how his large, calloused hands could work this degree of magic on her.

God, isn't this how women are when they go into labor? Resting on their husbands and sweating and trying not to scream in agony? Then again, I don't think anyone's had to go through such pain of giving birth in front of a dinosaur fight. God, that would be so much worse than what I'm experiencing now, wouldn't it? Either way, Owen would be the one beside me... Wait, what am I implying? God, I am beyond delirious.

"How does it feel? Any better?" Owen murmured. He kissed her head, his voice slightly muffled, his face buried in her beautiful red hair.

"Hurts like-like hell," Claire breathed. "But you're doing a good job... for a rugged caveman, that is."

Owen chuckled at this. "Alright, now shut up and rest yourself. Rest is what you need right now. Doctor's orders."

"Says the man without a medical degree..."

Owen raised his eyebrow at this. "Says the woman who can't identify a wrench." She's still joking. That's a good sign, right? Right? Damn it, she doesn't deserve this. God, I would do anything to take this away from her.

Claire blushed and averted her gaze for a moment. But before she could fire back a smart reply, a jolt of pain shot through her calf. She let out a sharp gasp. Instantly, Owen's smile faded and he cupped her chin with shaking fingers.

"What's wrong?" he asked frantically. She was perfectly fine just a minute ago! Please, let it be nothing.

Claire trembled as the pain escalated. "It's... it's my leg-"

"Alright, alright. Shhh. You're alright," Owen murmured. He reached up to brush away the stray strands of red hair that had gotten loose. They were matted with sweat.

Claire stared hard at her foot, feeling the magnetic-like desire to look at it even when she knew it would only make her queasy. Her colorful ankle stood out from her bloodied leg. The colors made her feel the urge to puke. Almost immediately, she felt the world starting to spin as dark spots appeared everywhere. Dark spots littering her vision... her thoughts crammed with nothing but colors.

Claire tried to focus on Owen's steady voice, the rhythm of his steady heartbeat, the steady rise and fall of his chest. Her eyelids felt heavy all of a sudden, but she couldn't rouse her body enough in order to react. She felt numb, heavy, tired, dizzy. Her head hurt. Owen's voice began to sound strange, as if they were submerged underwater. On the border between consciousness and unconsciousness, everything became a quick blur.

Two large dinosaurs slamming into one another like battling rams. One of them stumbling and collapsing onto the ground. A long despondent cry for help. That was when Claire barely felt Owen leave her with her head resting in Gray's lap. Gunshots fired through the air, shots that were echoed by a series of aggressive screeches. Four dark figures sped through the wet roads, splashing through puddles. The droplets seemed to float in midair. And there was something else...

Hope. Claire shut her eyes and allowed her mind to travel into the hazy world of unconsciousness.

Owen fired another shot before taking shelter behind a wide pillar. He felt a rush of adrenaline when Blue leaped on top of the Indominus, followed by Delta. If he were to concentrate on all his emotions, he would have drowned from all of them. Inconceivable relief that his raptors were all alive, especially Delta, who had received an almost bone-shattering blow. Indescribable fury at that damned Indominus. Immeasurable concern for his beautiful Claire, who was lying vulnerable in the arms of her nephews.

The brute strength of the T-Rex and the strategical intelligence of the four raptors eventually brought the Indominus down. She stumbled and crashed dangerously near the edge of the elevated ground. Beneath her lay the Mosasaurus's murky pond. The hybrid remained unfazed, no trace of doubt creeping in her mind. Driven by wild rage and the instinct to kill, she got to her feet and released a rumbling roar that shook the nearby plants.

It was the last thing she would ever do.

Even as the Indominus roared, there was another more distant sound that could also be heard. It seemed to grow louder until it presented itself in the form of a hungry Mosasaurus. A mighty leap that defied gravity and open jaws laced with daggers were all it took.

The Indominus was gone.
_____________________________

Thanks for reading and please leave me a vote and some comments!